Logo

Aq131 idle

T

tim the toolman

"I am having a weird issue wit

"I am having a weird issue with my aq131. I just had the timing corrected this spring on the boat. Even ha dto put a new distributor housing in since that was cracked. Well anyways my problem currently is the boat wont hold any idle when i open her up shes fine but i cant idle. Going through a no wake i have to play with the throttle contantly and even warming her up i have to bump the revs up, she also bak fires some times while trying to warm up and then will die if i dont catch the throttle and tap it for a second. not really sure what it could be i just put new plugs in the boat any suggestion would be great. I was thinking it was the idle but before i start screwing around i want to ask the experts their thoughts.

any help would be great. thanx"

"Seeing as how the dizzy and t

"Seeing as how the dizzy and timing are involved, I suggest you get a strobe lite and check the timing, set it to book values (my Seloc manual says 6 degrees BTDC) and tell us what you see. Don't mess with the carb settings yet."

"If I had to guess, I would sa

"If I had to guess, I would say it is improperly timed. Do you have a timing light you can use to verify?

Next I would check the carb. Give the side of the bowl a tap with a hammer to ensure the float is not stuck. Does the engine appear to be running rich when it idles poorly? Also make sure that the choke plate is open fully once the engine reaches temp."

"Did it run properly when you

"Did it run properly when you picked it up from the shop after the distributor replacement? If not, then it is timing for sure."

"after pick up it was running

"after pick up it was running much better, but that was 3 months ago. For some reason they took care of the timing issue then since that was causing the engine to over heat. But they never put new plugs in so i put plugs in this weekend since they havent been changed since last year. now the engine is down about 500 rpm at wot and she is backfiring and sputtering coming out of the hole. Also while running wot the boat every once in awhile may get a drop off in power for 1000th of second and then return to norm. Its frustrating me since its down on top end and hole shot plus the rpms are down and its a pain to even get through no wakes with out it dieing on me. I am also smelling a little more gas fumes which leads me to think its running rich but i could be wrong not an engine guy."

Verify that you connected the

Verify that you connected the plug wires to the proper plugs. Also verify that the plugs you installed are the correct type and they are properly gapped.

Yeah i removed each wire and p

Yeah i removed each wire and put a new plug in and reconnected the wire before pulling the next one. I gapped it to .028 per the manual. iam going to take a look at the carb when i get up there this weekend. Just wanted to start getting some ideas.

"Tim,
The old plugs ran bett

"Tim,
The old plugs ran better? Conditions changed when you changed the plugs? I'd be checking the physical condition of the plug wires and ends, inspect for any arching, the firing order, and location of each wire from cap to plug. Then I'd look at the plugs. "New" doesn't always mean good.
DS"

No the problem started before

No the problem started before plug change. I changed plugs thinking that was causing the problem. I have heard some many great ideas iam going to explore some of these and see what comes from it.

Back