Logo

Cable adjustment Problems

dlux

"After following Kghost excell

"After following Kghost excellent adjustment intstructions I'm still having trouble shifting into reverse, I can shift into F/R with the shift cable disconnected without a problem but I can't seem to get enough travel without adjusting the shift cable to the extreme end of the adjust. I recently had the lower end off to replace the impeller and had my shift controler apart,is there something I could have put together wrong that would give me this problem?"

Put the shift controll in forw

Put the shift controll in forward.

Remove the outdrive.

Look at the stainless steel shaft that goes thru the gimbal housing. At the bottom of it there is a Squared U shape that engages to the bronze piece in the lower unit.

I bet someone at some time tried to remove the out drive without puttting in forward gear and the U shape is no longer a nice square u and it is very loose.

Take a pair of large (water pump) pliers and squeeze the U as tight as you can so the bronze piece fits in snuggly.

If this is not the problem then email me throgh my email account in my registaration/name page and we can discuss off line.

"LOl, I like it all except rem

"LOl, I like it all except removing the outdrive, I did remove the lower unit without having it in forward position, had a difficult time getting it back together, I did go back and disconnected all the cables and started from the begining, it seems to be engaging both F/R, I'm waiting for high tide to put it in and water test it.Thanks I'll let you know how it worked"

"Just for your info

When th

"Just for your info

When the U shaped stainless steel shift linkage gets bent or the U becomes loose and sloppy( instead of a U it becomes a C)another way to show this is see attached image. Loss of reverese is the result. The rotational movement needed to push the bronze shift link is not enough. I have seen this issue many times and also the frustration caused by this because it is so easily missed as the ROOT CAUSE of not shifting into reverse. Also another symptom of this is when Adjusting the cables you can get perfect forward or perfect reverse but not both!!

216296.jpg
shift link

"All is good, We got it into t

"All is good, We got it into the water and after a few adjustments and tweeks it's actually working as it should,almost... I think I'm going to replace the shift cable this week rather than put it off till winter, needs it. Thanks for all the help. Dave"

There are to measurements you

There are to measurements you can do to check cable slack.

Controll cable........... diconnect from shift bracket at motor. Put in full wide open forward at the shifter handle.
Make a mark on cable where the black cable end stops. Put wide open full throttle reverse and make another mark.

Measure the distance between marks. Spec is 2 7/8 to 3 1/8 inches. if it is greater than that replace control cable!

Repeat for short shift cable.

Remove cable from shift bracket. manually put in forward gear by pushing. Do this carefully and when it engages stop pushing!!!! make a mark on the cable. Pull the cable end until you get reverse Carefully just so you get reverse engagemnet. Make a mark. Measure the gap between marks. Spec I believe is 9/16" or less anymore than that replace short shift cable.

"I replaced my shift cable, I

"I replaced my shift cable, I wish I would have done this about two months ago, incredible difference, Shifts like a new boat."

"I replaced the short shift ca

"I replaced the short shift cable, running down to the outdrive. I think it was the original (1986 glasply) and after numerous times of trying to make it work, Having a boat that doesn't work correctly is not only extremely frustrating but also dangerous, I have benefited greatly from this board and all the experience that the members have and are willing to share, Thank you all"

Back