Logo

No Compression%7e%7e%7e

tongaralli

"Hello everyone! I'm so h

"Hello everyone! I'm so happy to have found this site. Hopefully, someone can help me and I can help them as well.

I just recently bought a '62 Chris Craft 32' cruiser. Have no idea exactly what model it is; however, it does have twin 318 chrysler engines in it. One engine(the one on port side works great), but the one on the starboard side does NOT. It turns over just fine but nothing.

I checked the firing order and fuel to the carb, all good. I checked the compression on 1-3-5-7 and found that #1 cylinder has no compression. I mean ZERO. All others, 3-5-7 had 150 to 155 psi. As the engine turns, there isn't any noise or anything like that. I've also put a tube into the spark plug hole and found that the piston is not moving when engine is being cranked.

This puzzled me significantly. Never had anything like this. If the piston is not moving that means that piston is disconnected from the crank shaft. If this was the case, should engine make some noise as I crank the engine? I've also pulled the valve cover off and found that rocker arms are rocking away when engine is cranked. So, I don't think it's the valve stuck open.

Can someone explain to me what is going on before I pull the engine out of the boat to start tearing it apart?"

"Not sure, but the head has to

"Not sure, but the head has to come off as a minimum. I suspect you have a blown head gasket. Not sure why you can't detect the piston moving...might be you are being tricked by the way you're doing this 'test'.

Good luck!

Jeff"

Back