Logo

OMG What did I do

stumpease

"Started as a normal day on th

"Started as a normal day on the river with my Bayliner 1952 Capri, 3.0LX sterndrive, then she smelled something burning... I looked at the temp gauge and it was pegged at 250. Shifted to neutral and it died, turned on the engine blower and smoke was expelled. Thankfully a fellow boater towed me back to the ramp. The exhaust had gotten so hot that it melted through my tilt/trim hoses and I found a melted/deformed piece of plastic in the flo-thru prop that I think is part of the impeller housing.

I hope I caught it before any head problems but I wont know till I check it out. I just don't know where to start. Any constructive ideas will be greatly appreciated!!"

"What are these?

<[img]"htt

"What are these?

216255.jpg

216256.jpg
"

The pics show the impeller hou

The pics show the impeller housing. There is a water circulating pump on the fron of the engine. It could be a siezed bearing or have a broken shaft or the belt is loose or broken.

Since it got very hot check the water pocket on the bottom of the upper OD where the copper tube inserts. It's plastic and may have melted.

Thermostat may have siezed closed causing the hot problem. Check the exhaust shutters since they got a dose of hot exhaust.

Those crescent shaped pieces l

Those crescent shaped pieces look like the inside parts of exhuast shutters to me.

You are going to have to do a thorough search for all parts that may have been damaged by hot uncooled exhaust gases.

Anything made of any type of composite rubber elastomer will be suspect.
Rod

"YOu might want to do a pressu

"YOu might want to do a pressure test of the engine cooling system first before doing anything else.

You may have cracked heads, or manifolds.

Did your warning buzzer not go? They are supposed to actuate before you get damage like this occurring.

Rod"

"Thank You all for your help o

"Thank You all for your help on this. I suspect I had a complete blockage of the water intake (plastic bag) as I found only normal wear and tear on the impeller and the water pump is fine. The only debris seems to be the exhaust shutters and melted exhaust hoses. I have ordered all new parts and should be up in a couple weeks!!

I will do the pressure test. this boat has no warning buzzers, thinking about having them installed now!"

Back