Logo

98 115 hp stalls when shifting but idles and revs fine

xtahoex

"Hey guys and girls,
sorr

"Hey guys and girls,
sorry for making my first post a question but this problem is really bothering me and kept me from fishing this morning. Also, I did search but didn't seem to find anything that really seemed to relate to clearly to my situation. As the title says I have a '98 115 hp yamaha (it could be 97 or 99 if that really matters). Recently I had a tuneup done by a very reliable friend of mine he replaced the spark plugs and shift cables and besides the idle being set to high, which I adjusted the boat worked fine for a few trips. Then when I started it today the idle was too slow. I adjusted it back up but even after I did the boat will stall when placed in gear as though a rope is wrapped around the propeller. The prop spins freely when placed in neutral and it idles fine although it is a little harder to start than usual. I would ask the man who did the work but he is out of the country until the end of the week. Also, when revved the engine seems to run fine at higher speeds just not when placed in gear. Thanks for any and all help or ideas.

Peter"

Any motor will rev up in nuetr

Any motor will rev up in nuetral--- proves nothing.Check that you have spark at each cylinder and above all check compression.

sorry ikia I didn't know t

sorry ikia I didn't know that. just trying to give any and all information that could have been relevant. I am not that good of a mechanic do you have any suggestions of things that I can accomplish while my boat is on the floating dock? I have no tools to check compression or spark or at least I do not know how. Thank you though for your help.

"Thought I would let yall know

"Thought I would let yall know what the problem is. Turns out that somewhere between the tuneup I received the week before and using th boat this time, two of the carburetors became so clogged that they were allowing no fuel through, so the engine was only producing half its horsepower. My friend said he had never seen a carburetor so clogged."

Back