Logo

Volvo AQ131A275 Trim Problem

markjw

"On my 1985 Bayliner Ciera the

"On my 1985 Bayliner Ciera the trim stopped working when in a partially up situation. I removed the electric motor and the mechanism seemed to turn freely. I then turned it by hand until the trim was down. Because of the fact I was able to get it down by hand, I thought it was the electric motor. I had the motor rebuilt by a local shop and reinstalled it. Still did not work. When I remove the motor it operates with the trim switch in both directions. Still I thought it was the motor not having enough power, so I bought a new one, and still the same problem. The motor seems to strain when I trim up and do nothing when I try to trim down. When I trim up the drive does not appear to be moving at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated."

There are sets of two pivot po

There are sets of two pivot points that the drive must rotate on inorder to go up and down.
The "major" pivots which do the heavy work are between the "yoke" on the drive and the "transom shield". These don't usually seize up as they are stainless pivots that run in a plastic bushing into the aluminum transom shield.
The other set is a pair of stainless steel "bolts" that attaches the "steering yoke" to the "steering helmet". If either are seized up that would explain your situation.

Thank you for your advise. How

Thank you for your advise. How do I check to see if either of these parts are froze up. The boat is in the water. I assume there is nothing I can do with it in the water?? Is there anyway to get the trim up to keep it from scraping the pavement when I pull the boat out of the water? I am not sure if it will scrape as I have never tried it before. Thanks again!

"If you don't mind getting

"If you don't mind getting wet... Just lift the drive up by hand and tie it up. A line around the drive at the prop to the stern cleats usually works. If you try to pull the drive up and it only moves a very short distance and stops hard, then you need to reach under and release the latch... Finding the latch by feel:
run hand up front edge of drive until you get to the point where it apparently attaches to the transom shield. There is a curved piece of metal that runs across the front. Lift it and hold it while lifting the drive. It only moves a bit.
If you are in the water, it is probably a two person job with someone pulling on a line attached to the lower end of the drive. If the pivots are siezed, it will be a bit of work.

When out of the water... Lower drive and center it. REmove Allen head bolt towards the back edge of the helmet that goes into the top of the drive itself.
Try to rotate the helmet up by hand. It should move very freely. If it does, then the main yoke pivots are the problem. To remove the helmet pivots, reinstall the center bolt, turn the drive as far left or right as possible. The helmet screws will be accessable. They are Allen head. Remove them. If these screws are the problem, spray liberally with WD40 first. You do not want to damage the helmet if at all possible removing these screws as the steering yoke and helemt are sold as a matched set. If you scrog up the threads in the helmet, you can probably install a helicoil insert."

I am really new to boating. I

I am really new to boating. I bought a 1987 Bayliner Capri 1950 with a AQ131A/275. The power trim does not work. I hear the relays clicking but the outdrive does not move. But when I put the boat in reverse the outdrive lifts. Is this normal? Should reverse cause the outdrive to lift? Does it use a different motor then the power trim uses? Also the trim light sometimes comes on on my dashboard. What does that mean?

Back