Logo

43 mercruiser water in oil

pks

"Hello there I am new to the d

"Hello there I am new to the discussion board and was glad to find it I am a doit yourselfer that is alway tinkering with somthin. I resently purchased a tracker boat from a friend. Has a 4.4 mercruiser in it and I got the boat very cheap because he did not drain the water out of the engien before last winter and now there is water in the oil. I am not shure were to start. I am very famillar with auto engiens but not boat engiens, is it the same? and is it worth tring to fix or should I just order a new long block? Ther was not freez plugs blown out. why did they not blow? Thanks a bunch!!!"

"Pull the plugs and see which

"Pull the plugs and see which side there is water or rust evidence. Pull that exhaust manifold and riser to see if they are cracked. He may have drained the block and not both of the manifolds; you'd be mighty lucky.

Check around the sides of the block for cracks.

Boat engines are basically the same as cars/trucks w/some upgrades in head gaskets, different cams, brass freeze plugs, spark suppressed alternator and starter, distributor, some leak resistant fuel parts."

"the freeze plugs didn't b

"the freeze plugs didn't blow out for 2 reasons:
1. They aren't freeze plugs, they're core plugs used to remove sand after the block is cast. Why people ever started thinking they were freeze plugs is a bit of a mystery amongst mechanics.
2. They aren't the weakest link - the ice will relieve it's pressure by breaking the block in under the intake manifold along the area above the lifters where the cast iron is very thin. Once it breaks the engine there, it has no need to push out the plugs. Sometimes it pushes one out just for laughs."

"Dump that engine and purchase

"Dump that engine and purchase a longblock, or better yet a new crate engine. You will be doing yourself a BIG favor."

"4.3 Crate engine? didn't

"4.3 Crate engine? didn't think there was such a beast anymore... There's a boat builder in NJ that sells off extra Merc engines on eBay...they had 2008 4.3's complete with serpentine belts, carb to pan, mounts and electrical...everything...with exhaust for $3800.... wish I had just bought one of those instead of building mine"

Back