Logo

CMC Power Tilt and Trim

cordgrass

Contributing Member
My power tilt/trim works when

My power tilt/trim works when it wants too. sometimes it goes down but wont do anything after that. Or it will go up or down a little bit then quit working. I can hear the relays clicking but no movement. ANy ideas whats the problem or problems.

"My '75 115 Johnson does t

"My '75 115 Johnson does the same for years. The click you hear is the thermal relay in the motor. It will eventually get the motor up or down. You might check that there is not a high friction source in the tilt piviot. Might try checking the amps.

I can get a new motor for $320. However, no other major parts available for my year. So I am electing to get the CMC. One thing, the engine will be offset from the transom 6 inches. this will put moment on the transom, so be sure yours is in good shape."

"First, I don't what engin

"First, I don't what engine you have. That is why I prefaced what mine is just in case they are similar.
On mine there is a relay that supplies either up or down power to the TNT motor. But there is a thermal overload within the motor. If the click you hear is inside the hydraulic unit this is the thermal. If the click is coming from somewhere inside the boat it is the relay.
On mine, when the motor stops and the manual switch is released a moment later, a click can be heard inside the hydraulic unit. This is the thermal resetting. Then the unit can be activated again and it will run until the thermal trips again.
Hope this helps.
Mike"

"Email from CMC

You ca

"Email from CMC

You can take the 6 ft. black cord and jump it direct to your battery to see where the problem lies. Take the black and white wires coming out of the black cord, and touch one to positive and the other to negative on your battery and then reverse them. Touching them one way should run it up and reversing them will run it down. If it runs like normal when you jump it direct, then you have a problem in your wiring harness, which is more than likely the relays. If it does the same thing as now when you jump it direct, then you have a problem in the actuator."

"Joshua,

Man, I have been o

"Joshua,

Man, I have been off base on my comments. I thought you were considering a CMC and the symptoms you describe were with the engine TNT.

I have bought a CMC but have not installed it. I have been concerned about the mounting method to best spread out the load on the transom. Can you give me the details on how you fastened it? Have run boat since installing the CMC? How has it affected performance and handling? Do you seen any flexing of the transom?
Thanks, Mike"

I bought this boat from friend

I bought this boat from friend of a friend and i am in the process of fixing it up. It has been sitting up for a while and i am trying to find my problems. The lower unit was gone the tilt works when it wants and the trailer needs a few bolt changed. With all my problem i broke a bolt taking the lower unit off. I have alot of work till i get it in the water.

"There is a recent thread on t

"There is a recent thread on the Johnson discussion board about broken bolt removal.

I have been working on mine for 2 years, but just about there. Spent 8 months doing structural and was able to get it in the water last Nov for trials. Now, doing mostly cosmetic stuff.
Many weekends can be spent on boat projects."

Back