Logo

Lube Oil in the Bilge

jcherma

"I need a little help - I rese

"I need a little help - I researched the archives (06/08) and saw a similar issue but the cause was never mentioned...

I have a 2002 MERC 350 MAG w/Bravo III - that is running dry of Gear lube in the reservoir bottle. The lube oil is pooling in the bilge. The bottle is dry along with the back of the engine / drive, and the hose looks okay. Does anyone have any ideas where the oil is coming from? I have already replaced the bottle (that was easy)...when the engine is cold and sitting - she'll empty over night, when she's running and warm - she seems okay but when i stop and just idle - it seems to pour out...

Any help is greatly appreciated!"

"Cracks in the reservoir, actu

"Cracks in the reservoir, actual hose leaks, fitting connections, and cracked fittings are the obvious places to look. Did you use any sealant on the connections when you were working on it?

QUOTE [when i stop and just idle - it seems to pour out..} UNQUOTE.
Not able to spot source at this time???

You could put several pieces of paper beneath thie area invloved and check frequently to see if one location is more likely. I'm afraid this is a case of trial and elimination."

"Manual 11
page 3A-8
shows

"Manual 11
page 3A-8
shows a carrier oil seal. If this is leaking oil,
it will enter the bilge thru the gimbal bearing."

"I am going to wrap the hose i

"I am going to wrap the hose in paper towels and see where it spots...that should tell me where it is leaking from.

David - no to both questions...I didn't use sealant when replacing the bottle, no other connections were touched...and by the time I got her stopped (off plane) to idle - she's empty, not to mention I had my 1 yr old and 2.5 year old on board at the time and couldn't operate with the engine door open.

Bt-Doc - The gimbal bearing was just replaced. But the leak started before hand.

Thank you both...i appreciate the help!"

Back