Logo

Shifting trouble

2_left_feet

"Just replaced heads on 84 260

"Just replaced heads on 84 260 hp 350, and installed a new HEI distributor. Boat runs great, but when i put it in gear, either forward or reverse, I cannot shift back to neutral. I have to kill the engine in the neutral position then restart. I am new at mechanicing, and am having trouble figuring this one out."

"HEI? from a car?
sounds like

"HEI? from a car?
sounds like your shift interrupt system is not functional as it wouldn't be with a car distributor (I'm assuming). If it is a car distributor, what you have is dangerous for 2 reasons.
1. can't get it out of gear as you've discovered
2. No spark suppression in the distributor to prevent explosion of boat"

"Is there any way to make the

"Is there any way to make the shift interrupt system work with the distributor I currently have? I have removed the back seat and left the motor exposed, so I am not overly concerned with having an explosion "

"thank you bt doctur, your res

"thank you bt doctur, your response was quite helpful. wish all folks were more like you! All my problems have been solved!!!!"

Don;
Your original distributo

Don;
Your original distributor was hooked up to your interrupt switch so as to momentarily short out your coil when shifting out of gear. This is the only way to disengage the dog clutches that engage forward and reverse.
You will have to find a way to duplicate this action with your HEI ignition. I am not sure if the interupt switch will adversely affect your HEI system or not.
Perhaps you should contact the ignition manufacturer for advice.

Rod

"Thank you Rod,

I actually

"Thank you Rod,

I actually installed the new distributor prior to replacing the heads and had no trouble. The trouble started after the new heads were installed. If the engine is idled to high might it cause this problem? Or maybe something as simple as a corroded connection in the wiring? I appreciate your response without the criticism, still new at mechanic work and trying to learn."

""still new at mechanic wo

""still new at mechanic work and trying to learn."
My response may have been a little pointed but you must be made aware of the hazards using non-ignition protected components.
what was wrong with the original dist. and why use a automotive type.(you did not state marine HEI vs. points type) 2oz. of gasoline dispersed in air as vapor will blow you sky high not to mention anything else like the resulting fire.There are no shortcuts to staying alive in the boating world for YOU or your passengers.
If your current interupt switch dosent work on the "ground" principle, try the new style that works on a "open" circuit.
And please use marine components"

"Don;
Bt Doctur speaks wise w

"Don;
Bt Doctur speaks wise words.
Here is a simple test to see if your interrupt switch is working.
With the engine idling in neutral, depress the switch spring lever. The engine should die. If not, the switch or the wiring is faulty. A circuit test light should show where the problem lies.

Rod"

"[b]"Don;
Bt Doctur spea

""Don;
Bt Doctur speaks wise words."

Ayuh,....

If you're just Learning to be a Boat Mechanic,...
You should be Listening to Us old Pro's....

Ditch the automotive distributer,+ get a Marine Rated 1...."

thanks for the advice. replac

thanks for the advice. replaced the original distributor under the advice of mechanic (auto) buddy. HEI is NOT marine rated. suggestions on type/model needed for motor and where to find one would be appreciated

Merc. PN: 805185A36 Insert t

Merc. PN: 805185A36 Insert the number above in "engine parts" and search. This one is an OE part that requires the TB IV amplifier. Did you keep it when you swapped for the HEI?

"Guess I am going to have to l

"Guess I am going to have to learn everything the hard way. No sir, I did not keep the amplifier when I swapped."

Back