Logo

What HP is my engine

dhyams

Regular Contributor
"When I bought the boat, I was

"When I bought the boat, I was told it was 200 HP, but I've seen numbers for my engine that is anywhere from 160HP to 190 HP. I thought I had settled on 185 HP, but now I'm not sure again.

Engine serial #: 0F781989

This is a 1996 4.3L Mercruiser, not sure if it is an LX or not. There is an LX in my boat model number (Sea Ray OBXL 175), which makes me think it is an LX, but I don't know.

I have a 2 bbl Mercarb if that matters."

The sea ray numbers have nothi

The sea ray numbers have nothing to do with the engine horsepower.

The LX stands for the 4 barrel carb.

The 2 barrel carb is the lower horse power of the 2.

I would say your hp rating is if I remenmber correctly 175. I believe the LX was 190 hp

the 305 or 5.0 litre is around 200 hp and the 5.0 LX is around 220 I think.

Old age is making the memory a bit off.

"(Sea Ray OBXL 175&#41

"(Sea Ray OBXL 175)...This is a 1996 4.3L Mercruiser...I have a 2 bbl Mercarb"

Me thinks thow has a 175 HP.

"Go to the SeaRay web site and

"Go to the SeaRay web site and then to the "service link", you will see other selections for your manual, data sheets (in the archives), all kinds of stuff.

All can be downloaded and printed. Some of the older scans are a bit rough but they are there.

You seem to have a possible typo in your model, they only list a CBXL which lists std. engine as 4.3l, 160 hp. You can always call them too.

http://www.searay.com/Archives_Manuals/Sea_Ray_Archives/1996/25%20feet%20and%20b elow/175BRCBXL_SS.pdf"

"Right, I noticed that too, Ma

"Right, I noticed that too, Mark. From what I can deduce from their model numbers, 175 refers to the length (17.5 ft, even though in reality the boat is significantly longer than that from bow to back of swim platform, and the outdrive sticks out another 2 ft from the swim platform).

But the part I was getting to was that if you go to "parts manuals" on the sea ray site, it looks like CBXL = Closed Bow XL, and OBXL = Open Bow XL. I have an open bow. In those listings, my boat is the "1996 175 BOW RIDER XL""

"OK, so it looks like the engi

"OK, so it looks like the engine is most likely 175HP from what you guys have said above...thanks for all of the input!

Edit: just found this:
http://boards.trailerboats.com/cgi-bin/trailerboats/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000678

Pre-Vortech - up to about '93 or so
2bbl=175
4bbl=205 (This however, is NOT propshaft HP - this combination was not offered after motors started to be rated at the propshaft. This setup is more likely something like 190 propshaft hp)

Vortech engines
2bbl=190
FI=220

so I'm confused again, lol. I suppose it doesn't matter that much, but people are always asking me about the horsepower, and I wanted to be able to give them a correct number."

Many car/truck manufactures ha

Many car/truck manufactures have used the XL in the vehicle name/decription.

You are correct the boat name and numbers indicate the model and lenght.

The outdrive is not calculated in the length and typically either is the swim platform. Usually if the swin platform is included in the lenght is is because it is actually part of the molded boat. If it is attached with screws it is not.

My boat is 21 ft long. If I add the teak swim platform it would be 23 ft. long. If I also added the outdrive when trimmed all the way up it would be 25 ft long.

Is it moled into the boat or j

Is it moled into the boat or just a molded piece attached to the boat?

Did you measure down the cente

Did you measure down the centerline of the boat or along the side?

Ok I looked at the sea ray lin

Ok I looked at the sea ray link. The boat actuall probably measures 17 ft 11 1/2 inches.

For insurance purposes they call it 17ft 6 "

"Ah, lol, probably so Kghost..

"Ah, lol, probably so Kghost...I was just more curious than anything.

And as a correction, the model of the boat isn't "175OBXL", it's "175BR XL" (Bow rider). I muffed that one."

For 1996 the 4.3 L (2 bbl&

For 1996 the 4.3 L (2 bbl) was rated at 170 hp and the 4.3 LX (4 bbl Weber) was rated at 180 hp. This is right out of my 1996 4.3 owners manual.

Rod

Back