Logo

Trim Cylinder Leak

riggs624

"I have an 888 sterndrive, and

"I have an 888 sterndrive, and I noticed an oil slick form when activating my trim pump. There's a small leak coming from my port side cylinder endcap. Has anyone had any luck just replacing the o-rings and scraper to stop a leak here? I also read someone using a thicker oil (5w-30) to help with a leak there. I don't feel like paying the 280 bucks to replace the whole unit and would rather pay 15 bucks for an o-ring kit than a 120 dollar rebuild kit. Thanks!"

"Welcome to boating: Break Out

"Welcome to boating: Break Out Another Thousand.

if you are seeing oil in the water, no thinker oil is going to help.

You may find a used unit if you call your local boat yards. I have not seen a rebuild kit."

"i know they sell the rebuild

"i know they sell the rebuild kit, i guess i'm just wondering if anyone has had success by just replacing the o-rings and scraper for stopping a leak."

I bought a seal kit from NAPA

I bought a seal kit from NAPA and did mine myself. I ended up also needing to buy a used cylinder from a local marina for one of the ends. NAPA has a huge marine parts catalog that most people don't know about........has been a great resource for me.

"i have a johnson 115 and i ju

"i have a johnson 115 and i just got done doing exactly what youre asking ,replaced only the rings , scrapers, etc...-works just like new. cost less than 30$"

"that's very encouraging d

"that's very encouraging dave! were the o-rings and scraper visibly bad? i'm replacing mine tonight and i'll let you know how it goes.

and i'll have to look into NAPA for parts, that's a good find!"

"you could see oil seeping out

"you could see oil seeping out around scrapers, took it apart and they looked fine to the eye but replacing them resolved the prob. hardest part for me was squeezing the scrapers back in. took bout 10-15mins total. wouldve only been bout 20$ but went back and bought regular tilt/trim oil and replaced the oil after i made sure it worked. good luck!"

Be sure to go over the piston

Be sure to go over the piston (rod) carefully to make sure there is not any rough spots or dings etc. that may damage new packing.

kurt

"well, i installed all the new

"well, i installed all the new o-rings and scraper (after they gave me the wrong o-ring kit the first time around), and everything's back together and good as new. went skiing behind it last night and not a single leak. thanks for the help guys!"

Back