Logo

Fuel Sender Repair

lakehome

My fuel gauge always reads ful

My fuel gauge always reads full. I have no power to the sender at the fuel tank when key is on. I took wire off of gauge from sender and it went to empty. Need more help. Thanks

Disconnect the battery and pul

Disconnect the battery and pull the sender from the tank. Float arm may be stuck in the up position or the float stuck on the shaft.

"The sending unit at the tak h

"The sending unit at the tak has no power to it!!!

The sending unit at the tank is a variable resistor. As the float rises or simks the resistance changes.

The resistance is from ~60-80 ohms to ~240 ohms.

There is another type used and it is magnetic. As the float rises or sinks the dial at the tank rotates but the outpu to the guage at the dash is still the same

The PINK wire that goes to the sending unit is the one that feeds the signal to the gauge in the dash.
IMPORTANT!! there should be another wire attahed to the either the mounting screws of the sending unit or if the tank is aluminum directly to the tank. This is the ground wire, make sure you have a good ground at that point and also at the guage in the dash.

If you pull the sending unit out of the tank put the ohm meter across the sending unit center terminal and the other lead to the sending unit metal. Raise and lower the float and see if the resistance changes. If you get a good ohms reading and it changes based on the position of the float then reconnect the wires and turn the ingition on and see if the gauge works while you raise and lower the float. If the guage does not work check for broken wire to guage. do a continuity check on the pink wire from the sending unit to the guage. If every thing checks good then make sure you have power to the guage and if you do then the guage may be bad."

"Took my sender out and it was

"Took my sender out and it was just a chunk of rust. Condensation in the tank causes this. No way to prevent it that I know of. I carefully cleaned the resistor wire, the wiper, replaced the cork and reinstalled it. Has worked fine since. Don't break that resistor wire.

Suppose the resistor wire did break - would the wiper cause a spark? I've always wondered. Seems a risky thing to have in a gas tank but it has been used for dang-near a hundred years. JW in Dixie"

"Suppose the resistor wire

"Suppose the resistor wire did break - would the wiper cause a spark?"

Fuel won't ignite w/o a source of oxygen.

I've seen a cracked 36" natural gas line spewing out gas under extreme pressure w/a worker stradling the pipe and welding it shut w/no explosion; gas pressure is too high to ignite it at the source.

""Fuel won't ignite w/

""Fuel won't ignite w/o a source of oxygen."

Unless the tank is completely full, there is air in the tank due to the vent, so I still don't understand why it won't ignite if a broken gauge wire caused a spark. Guess they just don't spark, eh? JW in Dixie"

Back