Logo

AQ131A WATER PUMP PROBLEM

born_loser

"I have an AQ131A which i just

"I have an AQ131A which i just got back from the shop after major engine work. I had a cracked cam on the camshaft which needed to be fixed and the starter replaced. I took the boat out this weekend and a couple of times it made a squeal like a loose belt. I then took the kids out yesterday and the engine was overheating. I assume it's a problem with the water pump but I don't know if I should just replace the whole pump, start with the impeller or maybe something else. I pulled the cover to the pump, but nothing really jumps out at me. The "wings" on the impeller don't seem to be completely symmetrical, they are facing in different directions, but it looks like that might be what is supposed to happen. Thanks for help!"

"It could be something as simp

"It could be something as simple as a loose alternator belt, or the circulating pump bearing seizing and making the belt slip on the pulley. If the belt is loose, tightening it may solve the problem. If it is tight, you may want to loosen it and move the pump pulley by hand; and if the bearing feels rough, then you will need a new pump."

"The wings are all supposed to

"The wings are all supposed to be facing in the same direction. They may appear to be non symmetrical as they are designed to flex during rotation and different wings will be at different parts of the cycle. Otherwise, follow "El's" advice as to belt ..etc..."

"Matt, you may want to check t

"Matt, you may want to check the raw water hose connector in the outdrive. A corroded/perforated hose connector is another common cause for overheating, as the raw water pump will suck air instead of water once the boat is on the plane."

"it looks like the impeller wa

"it looks like the impeller was bad. I replaced it, and am in the process of changing the belt (just got chased inside by lightning and hail).
I'll let you know how it goes. thanks again!"

Back