Logo

Cavitation plate

david_r

Advanced Contributor
i read where someone was talki

i read where someone was talking about shaft lenghts. futher in the discussion it was said cavitation plate should be inline with bottom of transom. what if you have a trihull with a stepdown does it stiil go with transom? mine is but it looks as if at one it was a little deeper in the water. thanks for the help.

"My trihull has a vee at the t

"My trihull has a vee at the transom and the cavitation plate is pretty well even with bottom of the hull at the vee, i.e. centerline of the boat."

"one of my buds told me they p

"one of my buds told me they probably raised it up to get more top end. i fish some pretty shallow and stumpy places sometimes, would like to have a hydraulic transom jack! my pump is still picking up water at wot. should i still lower it back down? thanks for the help!"

"I am in the process of adding

"I am in the process of adding a CMC tilt and trim. The instructions say that the engine can be rasied because the unit set the engine 6 inches back from the transom and the flow of water coming off the hull will be coming up. They state that, as your friend, that less immersion of the lower unit allows better performance as long as water intake is sustained.
Mike"

"let me know if the setback he

"let me know if the setback helps performance and/or fuel mileage. i might have to take a chance with the wife filleting me
lol.gif
and spring for a jack plate or just a setback plate(dont know correct name but have seen them) thanks for the help!"

there have been several thread

there have been several threads on 2coolfishing.com discussing jack plates. you may want to log on and do a search. I remember there were some definite opinions. They are pretty popular here on the third coast so you should get voices of experience. You can google Cook Manufacturing Jack Plates to get to their website.
Mine is not a jack plate so there is no vertical adjustment other than the series of mounting holes in the engine. You could experiment with the engine mounting before buy a jack plate. At least to demonstrate to your wife taking all measures prior to a major purchase!!

"David,

I just had a chance

"David,

I just had a chance to take my boat out with the new CMC130. I works perfectly, but I did not gain any speed or likely economy. However, the boat handles and rides as good as ever. Bottom line, I have lost nothing in terms of performance and ride, but I have gained nothing other than a smooth operation TNT."

"The rule of thumb I had heard

"The rule of thumb I had heard and use is that you raise the cavitation plate 1 inch above the bottom-most point of the hull for every foot of offset from the transom. I have a 30" motor extension and six inch mounting plate, so my cavitation plate is 3 inches above the bottom most point of the hull. Seems to work fine, and I could probably get away with raising it another 1/2 inch or so."

"The way mine is set, the plai

"The way mine is set, the plaining water line on the engine is just below the upper cavitation plate, or about 2 inches above the main plate."

"im glad to hear you got her g

"im glad to hear you got her going and shes working fine..........wish you would have told me it had more top end and better economy.

at least gas prices are coming down......means i can fish more..........probably everyone can.

ive go a fuel issue im looking into on mine right now. ill probably be posting about it if i cant track it down pretty soon.

my gas mileage dropped to about 1 to 1.5 mpg and doesnt seem to run any different as far as idle, mid, or top end. no leaks of any kind, good comp, good spark.......still tracking it down."

Have you tried the SeaFoam dec

Have you tried the SeaFoam decarbon treatment? It is something like 1/2 bottle to a gallon of gas oil mix. Run at less than 2500 rpm for 15 min. switch off for 15 min. Repeat once or twice more. It really blew a lot of tar out the exhaust and made a lot of smoke.

"yep i de-carbed mine i used 1

"yep i de-carbed mine i used 1 gallon and 1 can.....bought an extra can to have some to put in a spray bottle, ended up putting the rest in my truck after i saw what a difference it made in my boat.

smoked like a freight train the first 2 cycles then on the 3rd not so much...........but she purrs when she idles now and doesnt smoke near as bad as before."

i did the de-carb back in the

i did the de-carb back in the summer (well it was a lot hotter than it is now). and it doesnt smoke near as bad and it idles better.

my fuel mileage just fell out and i found a small leak in the fuel line next to the "t" but dont see how i could have lost that much gas without noticing the leak.

im gonna take it out a little later today and see if that leak is the case.

Back