Logo

Second time for cleaning the carb 2004 5 HP 4stroke

lucky_bum

"Motor runs smoother now, howe

"Motor runs smoother now, however when in gear with a load at a rather fast idle, and this is after a warm up of 20 min to a half hour motor starts to slow and run rough and I hear what sounds like a spark knock as she dies out. makes me think ignition now. But then as it dies sometimes a backfire happens.. Ideas?"

"Trigger coil or broken flywhe

"Trigger coil or broken flywheel key will cause a true backfire. It wouldn't be the key in your case because once bad, its bad. The trigger coil could be your problem. Whip out the manual and run the tests on it to be sure.....However, how are you cleaning the carb?"

"Cleaned it myself using a kit

"Cleaned it myself using a kit with new seat float gaskets etc, last winter.Used carb spray but soaked thoroughly,then used compressed air.. This Monday it was done at the professional shop and soaked in a solution cleaner. Therefor it is the sound of spark cracking that makes me think ignition. A coil produces high voltage and so it's that kind of sound as in arching I hear just before rough idle and the engine dies. It runs all day out of gear but once warmed up it can't sustain the tork of a load."

"I'm a paranoid when it co

"I'm a paranoid when it comes to fuel system problems
There are only five electrical parts to the ignition system:

Trigger coil
Exciter coil
Ignition coil
C D module
Kill switch

Any of those five or a loose ground could be the problem."

Back