Logo

AQ140AQ125 Auto B21 Internal parts interchangable

followingsea

Regular Contributor
"A sad tale of being one day f

"A sad tale of being one day from sea-trials and having a motor start to rattle and knock. Head's off now and I find pieces of piston rings embedded in the tops of 3 pistons and some in the head (previous owner's improper installation of rings most likely
angry.gif
). Motor is coming out and getting stripped down for a close look.

I've got THREE CHOICES HERE--at least.

I have the motor that's in the boat, an AQ 140A converted to single carb.

I have an AQ 125A longblock that's been stored for 5+ years but with oil in the cylinders and head, etc. turns freely--unknown hours.

I'm picking up a complete 1980, B21 Volvo car motor in the next two days that a guy is giving me. It's been cleaned and dismantled for a rebuild but he never got around to finishing it--good head and all!

ARE ALL THESE MOTORS INDENTICAL INSIDE? Are the cranks, pistons, piston rods and bearings the same on all three? I know the cams are different. I need to know, just in case I have to mix and match some parts from the three.

I'm leaning heavily toward just rebuilding the car motor and putting all the marinizing stuff back on that one. BUT, if the lower end of my present motor checks out good after plasti-guage, etc., I might just put a set of good used pistons from the AQ125, with hone, rings, rod bearings, etc..

I'll know more when I open some of these motors up for a closer look but are the internals all the same coming out of the factory?"

"The engines you mention are &

"The engines you mention are (should) be identical. When I rebuilt my old AQ140, I used automotive parts (piston rings, bearings, gaskets, etc) for a B21 block."

"Thanks E.P. I'll know mor

"Thanks E.P. I'll know more when I've got them opened up for a closer look--what I can use or discard, etc.. At least I'll have plenty of parts to chose from.
uhoh.gif

...but it sure is painful to dismantle everything after it was all put together. Especially when we live about 300 yards (meters) from the beach and I keep looking at that beautiful summertime water! Oh well..."

Back