Logo

Trouble finding carb kit

dave5496

I need a carb kit for my 2002

I need a carb kit for my 2002 4.3 mercruiser. The carb has a sticker on the front that has SAE J1223 MARINE. On the side two numbers top 807764N the bottom number has a bad stamp and hard to read 18 16?4. any help would be appreciated

Was this converted from EFI or

Was this converted from EFI or MPI to carburated?
The year doesn't seem to match up to a carb'd V6.

to be honest I do not know thi

to be honest I do not know this is what was on it when I got it the engine is new I'm guessing the carb came off the old engine

Got a serial number for the en

Got a serial number for the engine?
Any idea what year the engine is?

Is there a green or red alumin

Is there a green or red aluminum numbered tag attached to a screw on top of the carb? What is the number?

I don't know the serial nu

I don't know the serial number for the engine. but it should an 08 or 07. no tag on top of the carb

David Bricker
One idle air mi

David Bricker
One idle air mixture screw indicates it's probably a Merc Carb. Rochesters have two.
Bert

"I was leaning more towards a

"I was leaning more towards a Mercarb too, but was hoping for a little more to go on.
But, after a little digging, I did find the '807764' number cross to a 2 bbl mercarb, installed on the 4.3L, and 4.3LX, but the years just don't match up.
Anyway, Sierra and Quicksilver both have rebuild kits.
This website, Westmarine, mercruiserparts.com, Boatersworld all have them.

Be leery... be very leery of the specs provided in the kits. Use these:
<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.marineengine.com/discus/icons/mime_pdf.gif""" align=left alt=""application/pdf"">
[url=""][b]97_08.pdf[/b][/url] (50.4 k)</td></tr></table></center>"

Thanks for all you guys helpin

Thanks for all you guys helping me out. which is the better carb a Mercarb or a Rochester. if the person that work on the engine when it was installed didn't change the intake and installed a carb instead of fuel injection would the engine even run (probably a basic question)

"'Better' is a relativ

"'Better' is a relative term, and depends on what you want... power vs. economy, reliability, etc.
I like the 2 bbl mercarb on my 5.7L because it's about as simple a fuel delivery system as can be found on modern engines. Not much can go wrong with it. (It doesn't rely on electrons to function.) And if something does go wrong while I'm off shore, it's easy enough to tear into and clean out. Even if it's just enough to limp home, I can critique it there.
EFI and MPI are great systems too.. more powerful, more fuel efficient, reliable, etc., etc. But if it were to break on me, aside from carrying a complete spare system, I'm not confident I can feasibly have the same level of back-up. If the boat had two engines, I wouldn't hesitate to have FI.
As far a the Rochester carb goes, I have no experience, but it doesn't look any more complex than the Mercarb. Is it better? ...Probably not a significant difference in performance or economy between the two."

Back