Logo

1989 351 PCM Cough Sputter Die

T

Tom Gruenauer

"It will start and run all day

"It will start and run all day without a hitch so long as the RPM is changed, pull up a skier, go for a short ride. If it is at a fixed RPM (3000)for 5 min. it will cough sputter & die. If you pump the throttle you can keep going. The water/fuel filter is new this spring and I poured is out into a tray after it acted up. Looked ok. Checked the filter in the carb looked ok. Checked fuel line from water/ fuel filter to fuel pump looked ok . Sight tube in fuel pump looks ok. Looking for advice before I pull the fuel tank.
Tom"

"Hope you find the problem. M

"Hope you find the problem. Mine will run great up to 3500 rpm's but push it to 3800 and it does just what yours is doing except it does it almost right away. i have replaced (all new) carb, fuel pump, fuel line, plugs, plug wires, coil and switched over to electronic ignition. I am down to distributor or ballast resistor. I have not pulled the tank yet."

Found the problem. The anti-si

Found the problem. The anti-siphon valve at the top of the fuel tank where the fuel line connects was filled with crap. Cleaned it out. It ran great last night!!

Back