Logo

1996 Mercuiser 74L Ring Set

keverno

"Earlier this year I purchased

"Earlier this year I purchased a 1996 Searay 270 with a engine that had sat for quite sometime and when the last owner started it to demo to a buyer it had 3 hang exhaust valves which them caused it to suck in some water into 3 cylinders, he had the heads removed pretty well straight away and WD 40 poured in the cylinders.
It only had 250 hrs on the clock, I originally was going to scrape the motor and replace, but found it turned over OK so I took it out and stripped it down, had the heads reconditioned, put new bearings, oil pump and was about to fit the replacement rings, who the engine reconditioner had supplied as the “right ones” ones for that engine.
I had advised him that they were shallow oil groove ones and gave him a piston to check but he still got it wrong.
I have now found that no one stocks the ring sets in New Zealand shallow type oil groove.
The engine reconditioner says he can easily turn out the oil ring groove to take the deeper std oil ring. I am not keen on that idea and wonder if this would weaken the piston and I am sure the engine design it this way for a reason?
The other option is import some rings from the USA but I am finding it a little hard to find a shop in the states that will readily export to New Zealand.
What do you think of having the oil ring groove deepened?
Can anyone recommend a parts supplier in the USA that I could contact that would ship to New Zealand?
Hastings p/n 2M4718 is the only one I seem to find searching the net that would fit OK"

Back