Logo

Mercruiser 165 electrical

gman32234

"I am hooking up the shift int

"I am hooking up the shift interrupt switch and the reverse lockout switch and have a couple questions. It is an older 165R unit. If i understand correctly, one end of the interrupt switch connects to ground and the other to the positive lead on the ignition coil to allow the coil to be grounded out momentarily to make shifting easier. Is this correct.
Question 2: The two wires on the reverse lockout switch tie into the trim pump wiring how? Also i used 40 weight oil for the trim pump and it works good in one direction but struggles in the other direction. Should i go to a thinner oil? I used the 40 weight because i had some at the time."

"Power steering fluid for the

"Power steering fluid for the power trim!! GM dextron trans fluid can be used also. 40 wieght is for engines................

The interrupter switch goes to the - (negative) side of the coil.

The connections for the electrical reverse lock out are:

Both wires are or should be blue.

One blue lead comes thru this path...

it starts at the trim switch (up), from there it goes to the trim limit switch and or splits off, from there it goes into the wire harness and to the trim harness plug (three prong plug),
from there it should go to a small terminal block,
then from there it should go to one side of the reverse lock out switch. The other blue wire comming off the reverse lockout switch goes to the trim pump up solenoid."

"The interrupt switch goes fro

"The interrupt switch goes from ground, through the switch and to the negative side of the coil. Same side as the wire from the points...Ok.
On the lockout switch, i need some explanation as i dont see any sort of trim limit switch. I see the one switch mounted on the transom that mechanically is tied to the shift assembly. Does that switch break the power line to the selenoids if it is in reverse?"

Just a little more information

Just a little more information. Older Trim Pumps like my 1973 165 in line six called for 30w. oil in the pump. Merc. dealer confirmed what my manual says.

Eric<><

Yes now that youmention it I d

Yes now that youmention it I do remember the older pumps using 30 wieght. Sorry for the memmory loss...........

The blue wire that goes to the trim limit switch goes to it and also goes to the connector that plugs into the trim pump. A Y connection to the limit switch if that makes any sense. It does not go thru it. The Y could be anywhere in the harness. The important thing is where the blue wire goes to the plug connector at the pump. The pump side of the connector there should be a blue wire and this is the one that goes to the lockout switch.

If you still do not understand email me at my accounts email address by clicking on my member name or give me a phone number and I can try to explain it over the phone.

"The 3 prong plug at the trim

"The 3 prong plug at the trim pump has been bypassed, i am guessing due to some failure of some kind. So i am starting with just two wires coming from the trim switch. So i have to start from scratch."

"I have made a rough drawing.

"I have made a rough drawing.
See if it makes sense.
Otherwise contact me thru my email and we can try to speak about this issue
215928.jpg
reverse lockout

It makes great sense. The dow

It makes great sense. The down wire goes direct to the selenoid and the up wire does actually go thru the limit switch and the reverse lockout switch in series. So both switches have to be closed in order to use the up function. I dont have a trailer switch at all. Just the dash rocker switch for up and down along with a key switch of course.
Now for the million dollar question: Where is the reverse lockout switch (i think mounted on the transom and connnected to the shift linkage) and where is the trim limit switch. Remember 165R.

That I cant answer!!

Have n

That I cant answer!!

Have not seen one for many many years.

My quess is the lockout switch is near/on the shift bracket where the shift cables mount.

That is the best i can do..........

"Gary, if you can, send me an

"Gary, if you can, send me an e-mail to [email protected]
I have some questions I would like to ask about some of the wiring on one of these inline six's with the person looking right at one.

Eric<><"

Back