Logo

Alpha One 50 stern drive problem

rbailey

"I was cruising at 3000 RPM wh

"I was cruising at 3000 RPM when I heard a terrible clanging noise. As if} something came loose or broke and was getting knocked around near the transom area (inside the stern drive?). I put it in neutral and the clanging noise continued. I put it in gear (hoping to get back to the dock) and the engine died. It is now locked up. Although the engine tries, it will not turnover. As if it is stuck in gear. The weird thing about it is when trying to turn it over, the steering wheel jerks. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to start trouble shooing this problem?

1988 Mercruiser 5.0 V8 Alpha One
This machine has always run like a champ, first big problem, first tow.
Thanks in advance"

P.Nelson -you got it. The uppe

P.Nelson -you got it. The upper drive unit is a mess. One of the gears broke and did a number on the aluminum housing. The housing is really chewed up inside. Just about need to replace the entire upper drive unit or new housing and replace bearings/gears. Any suggestions?

p.s. the stearing wheel jerking was the torque of the engine trying to turn over.

"Try ebay for upper unit or tr

"Try ebay for upper unit or try for a remanufactured unit. Was there any gear oil when you took it apart?

Also you might want to replace lower shift cable
while you have the drive off, If you have not already."

Back