Logo

1975 90HP CHRYSLER STEAM COMING AFTER WOT

rufustwin

"I HAVE A 90HP 1975 CHRYSLER O

"I HAVE A 90HP 1975 CHRYSLER OUTBOARD, WHEN I GO FOR A FAST RIDE AT WOT AND COME TO A STOP THERE IS STEAM COMING FROM THE MOTOR AND THE SPRAY OF WATER COMING FROM THE 2 NOSTRILS IS HOT TO TOUCH MY TEMP. GUAGE ISN'T IN THE RED AREA .IS THIS NORMAL ,? I REPLACED THE WATER PUMP AND HOUSING AND CHECKED THE POPPET VALVE, ITS FREE, CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY ADVICE?,ALSO AT WOT THE SPRAY COMING FROM THE 2 NOSTRILS AT THR REAR OF THE MOTOR STOP IS THIS NORMAL? FRANK"

Recheck your waterpump install

Recheck your waterpump install - steam means hot - hot means you are going to fry your motor - not enough water is getting to the powerhead - gasket/seal slipped maybe...

"I will check it ,When you say

"I will check it ,When you say seal do you mean the shaft seal? Also is there a way to check for a blockage to powerhead while its apart? Thanks, Frank"

"shaft seal, seal between the

"shaft seal, seal between the water pump cover and the base plate, seal on the guide tube for the water tube etc etc - anything that will let the water out under pressure - the higher the rpms, the higher the water pressure at the pump - and it's going to look for the easy way out - you have to make sure the ONLY way out is up the water tube to the powerhead..."

Is there suppose to be a rubbe

Is there suppose to be a rubber seal at the end of the water tube where it goes into the plastic piece on the pump housing ?

"Yes, I will paste in a diagra

"Yes, I will paste in a diagram below - kinda difficult to see, but #1 in the diagram is the seal, plus there is a couple of (oil) seals below that...
216012.jpg
"

"Thanks,I found out that this

"Thanks,I found out that this seal comes with the water pump kit I bought and is part of the housing.I think your right about a blockage or restriction to the powerhead.Is there a way to check this without removing too many parts?,I heard you can back flush from the fitting at the top of head or connect a hose directly to the water tube Thanks ,Frank"

Thermostat? Should be a 110°.

Thermostat? Should be a 110°. Not 140°. The only other common thing that happens it the water pump plate comes in two sizes. There is a extra bleed hole for the pressure reduction on most 4 cylinders. But not all. Some use the 5 cylinder plate. The temp gauge is connected how? Water?(Remember that you need water in there to heat the sensor.) Stick on?

There is no rubber seal on those. The plastic fits tight enough. There is a rubber ring on top of the pump. (silt slinger)

"I haven,t checked t-stat yet

"I haven,t checked t-stat yet ,It has the the type where the stat is behind the head cover and you have to take all the head bolts off to get to it and one bolt is gonna break so I stopped and figured I,ll try everything else first.The temp guage is on the top of head fitting. I checked and it works ,when i heat up the sensor to about 150 deg F my guage stays in the white area and not red "no numbers on guage"I also backflushed from top fitting and added a tell tale to verify pump is working.I took it for a ride sat,and it pumped water the whole time at the tell tale and guage stayed in white area But steam still apeared when I came to a stop,Oh it is a 3 ctlinder motor!And the plate seemed the same as the one I took out.Could the water Just be backing up in the housing and touching the exhaust ?Thanks Frank"

i have a sea king that revs go

i have a sea king that revs good but no speed. steam comes out of exaust and both cyl. have good spark.

Back