Logo

Yamaha 115 4 stroke still runs bad

santacruzin

"I have a 2001 yamaha 115 4 st

"I have a 2001 yamaha 115 4 stroke that started running bad about a mo. ago. Took it to monterey bay marine in santa cruz ca. they say it needed a high pressure fuel pump and injectors cleaned. charged me 10hrs. labor for the install and testing in all cost $1500.00. that was more than i was quoted but if it was fixed it was worth it. took boat out and it ran exactly the same as before won't get over 1800 rpm and runs like crap. they told me the fuel was bad and injectors are clogged again, did'nt i bring it there to be fixed. So here i am again working on my boat. Cleaned all fuel lines drained vst tank new plugs all fuel filters changed, and hooked to new tank with new gas and cleaned injectors, STILL THE SAME! WTF. good compression, all plugs fireing, what is proper way to clean and check to see if injectors are working right? who should i call."

is it smoking? running rich at

is it smoking? running rich at all? i've seen the vst vent line let fuel into the intake and literally drown the motor. did the plugs come out black and sooty?

No smoke plugs look normal. Ru

No smoke plugs look normal. Runs like plugs are fouled but there not. like it is starved for fuel. When on trailer it seems fine a little sputter but in water under load it runs bad motor rough.

"good point reggie, i believe

"good point reggie, i believe there is an inline filter on the high pressure side of the fuel system in addition to the visible water sep on the engine and of course the primary on the boat... doesnt look like a filter, but it's there."

"Take it back to the dealer, 1

"Take it back to the dealer, 1500$ and can't fixed the problem. Not fair.

Talk to the big daddy that runs the shop, he will put his top guy on it."

"Top guy is out on disability,

"Top guy is out on disability, not sure if he finished my boat or someone else. I called many times and talked to service writer / parts guy , he tried to help me but everything he tells me i have already checked, not once has he offered to have me bring boat back in. Does anyone know the owner of monterey bay marine in santa cruz ca. and who do you call for legal matters in boat repair.-- changed water sep, filter on motor and they say that the high pressure pump filter was changed and screen. what other is there? thank CHARLIE SANTA CRUZ."

"fuel injectors, have them cle

"fuel injectors, have them cleaned only 18$ each, each one of those injectors has a small screen in them that clogs a little at a time. causing a loss of power over time"

"do these guys have a certifie

"do these guys have a certified yamaha tech on staff? are they even an authorized yamaha outboard repair dealer? if they are, and cant fix your outboard, they should be getting hold of a local or regional yamaha master tech or at least letting yamy tech support know of the issue and that they cant solve it. yamaha in my experience is quite proactive in solving problems, they will usually bend over quite a ways even for a motor no longer under warranty. they state in their dealer tech guide that they would like to hear about any problem, regardless of warranty status. they may offer assistance above and beyond the warranty. they may not. i've had them do it for my customers a couple of times. this place should know that if they're a dealer.

i'm new to this forum, but i wouldnt be suprised to hear that someone from yamaha monitored it. try giving consumer customer support a call. have your model and product id number with you when you do. if your repair facility has called regarding your problem there will be a record of it. if not, then you may want to question them on this, or perhaps they're not authorized dealers, which alas is your bad. good luck going forward."

They do have a certified yamah

They do have a certified yamaha mech. and are a yamaha dealer that is why i took it there. but now everyone i talk to says not to go there (TO LATE) they say that they called yamaha for tech. and that there mech. is out on disability. where can i have injectors cleaned any info.

"they did say they cleaned the

"they did say they cleaned the injectors, yes? in my experience this requires their removal and then setting them up in a device that runs serious cleaning solution thru them. in my area we send problamatic ones up to a local diesel engine outfit that has the special equipment. cleaning injectors while intalled in the motor usually amounts to running injector cleaner thru them introduced thru the fuel system, and doesnt allow the spray pattern to be observed during or after. or before for that matter.

cleaning injectors is akin to rebuilding carbs, sometimes it just doesnt work. while big diesel injectors can be disassembled and manually cleaned, with these little ones you can't always get good results."

Did you say the engine revs fi

Did you say the engine revs fine when in neutral? Past 1800 rpms?

"They only cleaned the surface

"They only cleaned the surfaces of injectors not sent out and prof. cleaned said had small amounts of rust on tips. Revs up rough now, popping and missing."

Back