Logo

1983 Mercruiser 260s

deanza

"Just installed rebuilt heads

"Just installed rebuilt heads on my Mercruiser 260. Ran the enigines today and the rebuilt one was overheating and had white smoke coming from the exhaust. The vacuum guage was showing in the "inefficient" range the whole time, not sure what that means but the other engine was showing in the "cruising" range. Bit of a rookie at this stuff so any help would be appreciated."

what's the compression now

what's the compression now? white smoke is water ingestion; cracked manifolds?

"Thanks Guy, appreciate the fe

"Thanks Guy, appreciate the feedback. Will check compression tomorrow and let you know. How do I know if I have a cracked manifold? I had the headers sand blasted and painted and we did the intake ourselves as it was clean. All looked good to us but then we were not looking for any cracks. The engine ran before we took the heads off, just rough, but there was no smoke, at least not like now?"

Exhaust manifold cracks usuall

Exhaust manifold cracks usually occur internally. Plug the water jacket (WJ) holes and drains and fill the WJ w/water to see if it seeps thru to the exhaust ports.

Did anyone lay a straightedge on the block surfaces to check for trueness before installing the new heads?

If the compression is good then suspect the exhaust mans. if you find water or a wet plug for one or more cylinders.

Back