Logo

50 omc cobra WOT only 2100rpm

rwb6398

"I just purchased a 1992 Four

"I just purchased a 1992 Four Winn’s 205 Sundowner with a 5.0liter OMC COBRA. I am having a problem and was wondering if you can help me. I'm starting to think the boat hasn't run right since I've bought it. The boat is slow to take off and can barely reach 38mph (after about 3 or 4 minutes @ WOT). Then yesterday I took a few friends out, and I couldn't get the boat to go any faster than 15mph. I was well under the weight limit on the boats capacity. After reading up on a few things I noticed my full throttle rpm should be 4000-4400, I checked the rpm in my drive way (with a hose hooked up) and there was no problem, but I just took the boat back out into the water, and at 38mph I was only at 2100rpms. I have a stainless prop on the boat that I'm planning to switch to aluminum for safety of the outdrive, but I'm afraid that will slow me down even more. The boat is in very good condition for its age, and it's killing me to know how much money I spent on the thing, and it's not working properly. Please, I would appreciate any help or advice. Thank You."

local prop shop can tell you w

local prop shop can tell you what size prop you should have.your prop sounds to big but 38 mph at 2000 rpms is amazing !!! are your tach and speedo are good?

"How can I tell, They seem to

"How can I tell, They seem to be good, They are both consistant. I will go check with a prop shop today. Thanks."

Back