Logo

85 supraweak sparkhelp

iron1980cross

"I have changed the coil,point

"I have changed the coil,points,condenser....and still no strong spark...very weak spark coming out of coil wire..(orange)What am I doing wrong?Can anyone help a bruther out?"

"Assuming the points are gappe

"Assuming the points are gapped right, the next item to check is the ballast resistor (if equipped) or a resitance wire.

Jeff"

Where is this ballast resistor

Where is this ballast resistor?...the reducing plate on the rear of the engine?
Sorry but I have no idea where this is?

If you have a ballast resistor

If you have a ballast resistor (or resistance wire) it will be in the running circuit (vs. starting only) to the distributor. You should have around 9 to 10 volts at the coil as the motor is running (if your ditributor uses a ballast resistor/ wire).

Jeff

"That sounds about right--but

"That sounds about right--but maybe it should be a bit higher? I'll bet if you jumped the coil direcetly--with 12 volts--it would spark like crazy.

You might consider this: Toss out that low voltage coil, buy a full 12 volt super coil (like a Mallory or other hot rod coil) and run it on 12 volts (and toss the ballast resistor out). I had such a setup on my race car and it worked great!

Jeff"

I did that and I get a super s

I did that and I get a super spark...but it still won't fire off...I changed the cap again too...thinking it might be a hairline crack...but no such luck

"Okay. (The plot thickens

"Okay. (The plot thickens...) This happened to me (and drove me nuts!) See if you have the right rotor in there. Chrysler (the dopes) made two radically different rotor/ cap combos for some dopey reason. In one, the rotor has the usual spring on top that contacts the 'button' in hte cap, but the other design rotor does not--it relies on a spring above the button to make contact. You might have a gap between the rotor and cap--and they don't run well(or at all) that way.

Jeff

PS: Mine made a nice spark, but wouldn't run."

"Hey jeff,
I was just about t

"Hey jeff,
I was just about to invest in some lighter fluid and some matches....I'm going to go and get another cap and rotor tomorrow...and just see...I mean I have more in the elec. starting system than If I were to convert it. I want to thank you for all of your help...I hope that works...If not, I will definately invest in a conversion system...thanks
CHUCK"

Back