Logo

57 L 260 overheat and engine alarm question

spook5365

"Can anyone give me hint where

"Can anyone give me hint where to start? Here's the story:

We were skiing and tubing Saturday and engine alarm went off. Oil was fine, no coolant in overflow holder. I threw anchor out, sat a while and let engine cool, added about 1/2 gallon to reservoir. Engine started right up and there was a quick puff of steam. Went home at moderate/slow cruising speed, temp never got above 160, and we kept checking overflow and there was coolant there. Pretty good distance to travel. Last night I went down and started boat, no coolant in reservoir, it quickly heated up to 180 and I shut it right down. Boat always runs right at 160 when hot. It also never got above 180 Saturday at first incident but it also almost looked like gauge was stuck there. Don't see coolant or leaks anywhere.

Thanks for input."

Presure test cooling system. c

Presure test cooling system. check weep hole of circulating pump. Also the coolant resivior will not go down until engine starts to cool and air pockets in engine create a vacume and sart to draw from res. If you cannot find external leak
under pressure (if pressure loss occurs)then you
have an internal leak and usually can be traced to head gaskets. Good luck.

"5.7 L MCM I/O
I HAVE PUT A N

"5.7 L MCM I/O
I HAVE PUT A NEW THERMOSTAT 160,A NEW IMPELLER AND THE ENGINE RUNS HOT AND ALARM COMES ON AT 180 DEGRES RUNNING AT 3000 RPM AND ABOVE AND STOP WHEN I RUN THE BOAT AT 2500 RPM
WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM? TIMMING IS GOOD AND ENGINE IS 130 HOURS. THANK YOU"

David;
Check our oil level to

David;
Check our oil level to see if any coolant is there. If you have a head gasket leak that is the most likely place for it to go.

Yves;
YOu should start your own topic to get more responses. Sounds like not enough cooling water. When was your water pump impeller last changed?

Rod

IMPELLER JUST CHANGED 1 WEEK A

IMPELLER JUST CHANGED 1 WEEK AGO AND I HAVE NO HEAD GASKET LEAK.tHE ENGINE HAS ONLY 135 HOURS AND 6 YEARS OLD.

YVES

"Rod: Thank you. I did check

"Rod: Thank you. I did check oil, it looked perfect. I can't see coolant anywhere if thats a clue.

David"

So it's consuming coolant?

So it's consuming coolant? Keep it full for starters so you don't do any more damage. Sounds like a head gasket. Might also be a leaking heat exchanger.

I think MistaHays is right. Li

I think MistaHays is right. Likely your exchanger leaking into the raw water.
You should pressure test your closed cooling system.

Rod

Back