Logo

Alpha One Case Stuck Together

hallsy2

"Hey Guys - I have no water ci

"Hey Guys - I have no water ciruclation to the heat exchanger, so I'm sure the water pump needs attention. Got all of the fasteners apart, but the case does not want to split. I read on a forum that starting with a good paint scraper, and working to a screw driver, should get it apart. Seems like a delicate area to beat the heck out of. Any advice on getting it apart would be great.

Thanks - Steve"

"Did you get the hidden bolt a

"Did you get the hidden bolt at the trim tab location? And never pry with tools, rather use a dead blow hammer to gently try to break seal.

Kurt"

Hi Kurt - I did get that hidde

Hi Kurt - I did get that hidden fastener. I also did hit the drive with a rubber hammer and it's not really budging too much. I am thinking that pulling on it with a ratcheting "come-a-long" and hitting it may be better than prying it apart with tools?

Another trick is to take off h

Another trick is to take off hyd. rams and lift and drop drive to shock it apart. Also penetrating oil may help.

Kurt

"excellent site for info is S

"excellent site for info is Sterndrives.com I found it after I had struggled to get mine apart to replace the impeller, one important note was making sure the outdrive is in forward position or you will have a hard time getting it apart, CHeck with your local marine parts store, I understand there is a tool to assist in getting it apart, puting it back together can be challenging as well. good luck"

"The 2 nuts that are near the

"The 2 nuts that are near the front of the case that are in the recessed are and are only accessable with a 5/8" open end wrench, when you loosen them all the way they can be used as a method to force the cases apert enough to get a pry bar between the 2 halfs. There will not be much of a gap but enough to get a good large heavy duty screwdriver or pry bar.

I understand another person posting to this said not to pry and normally that is the prefered method BUT if you look closley there are 2 slots on each side of the case that allows for this exact action.
Been there done that hundereds of times. Use care and caution so as not to distort the cases anymore than needed. Usually this is caused by excessive oxidation on the thru studs which causes a sort of glvanic/oxidation weld if you will.

Good luck"

"I used two small blocks cut f

"I used two small blocks cut from some left over ironwood, put them on the top of the nut and then backed the nut off using the blocks as an assist to split the case, lots of penetrating fluid."

"steven r. hall
Not doubting

"steven r. hall
Not doubting you, but how many nuts and bolts have you removed from the case.
Bert"

"Hi Bert,

Got the bolt thr

"Hi Bert,

Got the bolt through the top of the anode, and the bottom of the anode. Got the 2 counter sunk, the 2 up front on the side and the one at the very front in the center. Followed the procedure from Stern Drives.com. If I missed one, please let me know. Thanks for your help."

"Per dlux with the block i use

"Per dlux with the block i use a 7/16ths open end on top of the nuts, acts as a wedge to drive the case halves apart"

"If you still haven't got

"If you still haven't got it, try using a screwdriver to clean under the trim tab. Sometimes mud will hide this bolt. They should come apart very easy."

"Thanks for the help guys. I

"Thanks for the help guys. I work in a machine shop, so I'm going to get a couple of metal plates to use for the nut back-off procedure. That is a great idea.

Steve"

"I recently removed the lower

"I recently removed the lower unit on an Alpha 1 using heaps of WD 40, a solid screw driver and soft face hammer. Try knocking the front and rear with your hands. The slightest gap gives opportunity for a screwdriver to be inserted. I also had a notch at the rear of the unit which made the screw driver entry easier.
Raj"

Back