Logo

43lx wont throttle up

ogetnom27

"I have an 89' Sea Ray 21&

"I have an 89' Sea Ray 21' Mercruiser 4.3lx 205hp (carbureted). Has run great all summer then started surging whenever i try to throttle up to get on plane.Will throttle up fine when not in gear or under any load, but when I try to go above 2000 rpm when underway, engine will just surge up and down, up and down. Please, any help?"

"I'm having the same sort

"I'm having the same sort of problem, not as bad of symptoms. I was told to look at the fuel filter, inlet screen, try carb cleaner that you put in the fuel. I suppose that is a start. Could be a weak fuel pump. Also try running your boat with the gas cap off. Maybe your not getting enough air to vent the fuel tank."

"Problem solved! Took inline f

"Problem solved! Took inline filter right at the carb out (was pretty bad)little carb spray to clean it up, back together again.Took it out and wow! what a difference. Right up on plane and topped out at 47 mph! Just bought this boat at the beginning of the summer and it has never run this good. Also caught a 27" fluke in Buzzards Bay as well. All round' great day! Thanks guys."

Back