Logo

Engine size and planning

nam57

"I have a 1958 Chris Craft Cap

"I have a 1958 Chris Craft Capri which currently has a ford 312 in it for now. I am working to completly restore this boat, all new top,bottom, sides of years before giving it to me about 12 years ago. He has since passed away and I am only able to talk to family freinds about the boat history and problems it had. Because of the troubles he had with the 312, mainly finding parts I have decide to repower the boat. It seems that the boat orginally came with a six and at some point before my father bought it it was repowered with the 312. My father was never able to get this boat to plane out. My question is, Did all of the Capris have this problem or does the size, weight or power of the engine affect the ability to plane?
I am thinking about a 350 for the boat, there seems to be alot of them out there and the best I can tell parts are easily found for them. Any infromation and or suggestions concerning the engine size or what fits in the boat well will be a great help. I am replacing the keel and possibly the engine stringers if they need to be upgraded for a bigger engine.

Thanks
Neal Miller"

"Neal (my first name, and

"Neal (my first name, and I spell it that way too!):

Drop in a good 350 Chevy small block and prop it correctly, and that baby will plane off just fine.

Jeff"

Back