Logo

Mercarb 2 barrel

• Thread starter not running in newport
  • Start date
N

not running in newport

"I've recently rebuilt my

"I've recently rebuilt my 3.0 liter and can't get it to idle properly. It has a Mercarb 2 barrel with an electric choke. The engine will start every try, but instantly runs to 3200 rpm. I can even turn the idle mix screw in all the way & the engine will not stall. I baked out the idle speed screw and it had no effect on the engine speed. The thottle is not binding and the only way we could get it close to idle was by manually holding the choke plate closed so that I could attempt to set the timming. I rebuilt the carb today and followed all the specs and measurements. It still runs the same. I can't seem to figure out whats going on."

Something is holding the throt

Something is holding the throttle open and dumping gas into it to get 3200 RPM. Never go over 1500 RPM out of the water!! Disconnect the throttle cable and see if the linkage hits the throttle speed adj. screw. Set the COLD choke to close all but 1/8". Turn mixture screw 1.5" out from fully turned in position. go from there.

Check for air leaks around the

Check for air leaks around the carb and intake. I usally get an old bottle of windex fill it with water and spray around. Just to make sure.

Back