Logo

What is the oil pressure for 470 engine What is a Oil by pass valve

kevin8or

Contributing Member
Looking for oil pressure spec

Looking for oil pressure specs for 470 engine
And does anyone know what the Oil by pass valve does on this engine. It sits right behined the oil filter?

"Kevin, the oil by pass valve

"Kevin, the oil by pass valve is for if ever your oil filter would ever clog. Oil pressure is determened by the oil pump. Good pressuse is 50-60 cooled and 20-30 hot at idle. 50-60psi running."

"Ok Thank you so much, Mine in

"Ok Thank you so much, Mine in one of my engines was missing,, and I notice there was a difference in oil pressure. Thanks again.

Kevin"

Will

I have twin 470's

Will

I have twin 470's and one runs 40-60psi and the other one runs 60 to 80 Psi....after they warm up. So I put a mechcanical gauge on it and it said 50psi when it was cold and 45 at idle after it warms up.
I just rebulit this engine and changed the oil pump from a aluminum pump to newer the Cast Iron oil pump of the 80's The engine is a 79.
And this engine has always ran 40 to 60 psi. of oil pressure since I bought it in 93.

Contrasting with the other engine that run 60-80 I am thinking there is a problem with my gauges or one of them has the wronge Oil sending unit.....

I don't understand why there is such a difference between the two engines...

My book says the 470 should run 30-60 psi.....

"On the engine that runs highe

"On the engine that runs higher pressure, have you ever been into this one? (rebuilt) Cause im thinking there is a high pressure pump in this one. When you say you hooked up mech gauge, did you do it to both engines? Cause that will tell you if the sending unit is bad."

"On the one I have not been in

"On the one I have not been into, I will put the gauge and test, I did not do that.. thanks"

"Either way, sounds like you h

"Either way, sounds like you have great pressure in both. Sounds to me like the different pump may be the difference in pressure. 45 at idle is good."

Back