Logo

1968 evinrude how much

fishmanjeff

Contributing Member
i believe i have a 1968 85 hp

i believe i have a 1968 85 hp evinrude model V4AL 20A it has elec start and manual i hve no controls for it it starts up on second to third pull seems to run good can anyone tell me what its worth its a short shaft wont fit on my boat just wandering what it is worth thanks

"WOW! I haven't met anyon

"WOW! I haven't met anyone who can pull one of those things a second time, let alone a third.

Check e-bay to see what they are going for. I'd say $50-$250 but that's just my opinion."

when i bought the boat it had

when i bought the boat it had the 50 evinrude and it came with this one its been sitting in the garage so i pulled it out believe me that wasnt easy so i jump the battery to the starter and sure enough it stared so i that what the heck ill try to pull it and it starts up 2 to 3 pulls its better than the one on the boat but only problem is its a short shaft and i need the long so thats it eh 50 to 250 checked e bay but couldnt find any to compare thanks maybe ill just cut the transom on the boat! cheers

I don't think they made a

I don't think they made a 15" 85 and I know they never made a 25" 50 so it sounds like they are both 20" motors. I would remeasure before I broke out the Sawzall.

do i measure from where the mo

do i measure from where the motor sits on the boat to the bottom of the skag think thats what its called i think i was only getting about a 2 inch difference but the guy i bought it off said he had it on the boat and when he went full throttle he wasnt getting enough speed because it wasnt in the water enough its a 68 johnson 85 hp model V4AL 20A and the other is a 50 hp evinrude model 30573b which is on the boat any idea if i have short and long shafts

You measure from the transom b

You measure from the transom bracket (where it would sit on the transom) down to the cavitation plate.

Believe according to your model number V4AL it should be a 20 inch - the V4A was the same "less" the 5 inch insert - so appears there was a 15" short shaft model - at least that's the way it looks on my parts list.

Your 50 horse (50573B maybe) also appears to have come in a standard and long shaft model - so you will have to measure...

Back