Logo

57 efi gas flooding problem

sez

"Hello, I have a 1996 5.7 efi

"Hello, I have a 1996 5.7 efi flooding gas into the throttle body. The injectors were not dripping so I pulled of the rubber line going to the base of the TB and turned it over with the coil unplugged and watched gas shoot out of the vapor seperator tank vent line. There is alot of gas in the oil. Has anyone ever seen this before? What could be going on in the unit to be causing this problem. I did not run the boat last season and I am thinking maybe there is something stuck in the unit. Thanks for any help."

"Your float (needle and se

"Your float (needle and seat) is stuck in the VST tank. you will need to service the VST.
also change the oil, ASAP"

Thanks for the reply. Is this

Thanks for the reply. Is this a repair that can be done by me(semi-mechanically inclined) or should I leave it up to a marine mechanic?

"If you would feel you can cle

"If you would feel you can clean a carb. you can tackle a VST. it is a bowl with a float ,needle and seat as a carb. good luck."

John:

Have you changed all

John:

Have you changed all your fuel filters? Your TBI may the problem. One or both injectors are probably in need of replacement due to leakage. The is no needle or seat or bowl. The gas in the oil is proof the injectors are dumping fuel and not spraying it. Check the fuel pressure first since the injector needs pressure to spray. Not enough fuel pressure means worn pump and/or regulator.

"Guy, I have found the problem

"Guy, I have found the problem. The Vapor seperator tank (VST) is pumping gas out of the vent line into the base of the throttle body. There is not suppose to be gas in the tube,just air.I looked at a diagram of the unit and there are numerous parts in there including a float and valve seat. I pumped out the oil and drained the oil filter,put in some cheap oil and started it up with the vent tube running into a small gas can. The motor blew a little smoke at first and then cleared out a runs like a charm. I let it run for a few minutes and then I pumped out the oil again and added some more fresh. The first batch of oil I took out( two gallons!) was black and thin. Hopefully there has not been much damage done to the internals and the motor just got a good cleaning! I am going to take the boat to a marine repair shop. I do not want to open up the VST and screw something else up. When I put the boat back in the lake I will run it around a little and then pump out the oil again and put in some higher priced stuff and a new filter. Thanks for trying to help."

"Sorry about my confusion of V

"Sorry about my confusion of VST. AK was right, you can rebuild it w/a new float and needle.
sad.gif
"

I did the same repair on my da

I did the same repair on my dads volvo 5.7 a few months ago. It was pretty simple to do. What actually happened is the gasket for the top of the VST swelled and wouldn't let the float rise. The dealer where i got the parts from me told me it was caused by ethanol.

Back