Logo

1987 Mercruiser 170 ALTERNATOR

J

JaySalamon

I have recently become the own

I have recently become the owner of a 1987 Royal Sebring with a 1987 Mercruiser MCM 170 and as common knowledge states these engine are very common for having the stator assembly break apart leaving you with no charging system. I went to my local marine shop and inquired on an external mount alternator package.... They told me that it was available for about $600.00. Does this price sound correct and/or do you know of any other "internet" locations that I maybe able to find it for cheaper??
Thanks
Jay

I have an 85 with the stator a

I have an 85 with the stator and have been looking at the conversions. It looks like they are around 380 +/- for the materials. Do a search on 170 mercuiser alternator conversion. I can't give you more info because I haven't actually had the guts to do mine yet. This is my first boat and I'm trying to get at least the season in before any big changes. Good luck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$380.00 sounds better than $60

$380.00 sounds better than $600.00. Thanks
I can tell you that I have researched the installation of the conversion kit and it looks fairly easy... with that right tools. I would be surprised if it takes more than a hour to do.

Back