Logo

1999 C75TLRX DEAD ON CYL # 3

ryan_asmundson

"I cannot get cyl number three

"I cannot get cyl number three to pick up. I have swapped coils checked grounds and the spark or electrical is not the issue. unit of course revs fine in neutral but what 3 cyl doesn't. here is what I have done. Any more suggestions.
1: Ranged plug gaps from spec (0.039) to 28 thou
2 Completely removed all three carbs, dissembled compared floats checked needle and seat with MightyVac. Reset float heights to yammy spec
3 full inspection of reed valves no problems and no sprayback
4 compression test checked hot and bang on 100 pounds all three.
5 borescope shows slight carbon buildup with nice wash on 1 and 2 but number three is rotally washed.
Timing on all three respectively the same with about 6 degrees atdc at idle.

the problem seems(Even on a lake run wot) that 3 is loading up and full of fuel and won't unload and run. I don't think it is a crank seal because I would not have any primary compression and number three Should have lower compression if the primary transfer was not sufficient. Is there any thing in the ehaust system or restriction that may have occured.
Also idle screws are set at 1.25 turns out. i have also tried all sorts of positions and them.
The engine under wot will only pull 4000 regardless of trim position.(2 Cylinders). I have also done a dropout test to make sure 3 was not -pullin. Any Suggestions would be appreciated"

"Thanks a million man. As soon

"Thanks a million man. As soon as I seen fuel pump I knew exactly what I was looking for. For Anybody who does not know why this is how a fuel pump on this style works. there is a communication port or pulse port (for lack of better term) behind the fuel pump. This port senses pulsation from the crankshaft on #3 which in turn moves a diaphragm that actually does the fuel pumping. The diaphragm is only 4 thou thick and therefore likes to break on the cicumferential stress points. when this breaks fuel is introduced directly to the crankcase. This problem can cause enough frustration to warrant smashing an entire fiberglass boat into smitherines. That said, I will now troubleshoot the problems and before the hammer comes out I will post again. Thanks again you've saved my boat"

Back