Logo

Replacing a Mercruiser 470 with a MCM 140 bad idea

edventure

"I have had all of the trials

"I have had all of the trials and tribulations that a 470 engine brings with it. I am facing the second bearing sleave replacement for the water pump seal and a stator that is on the weak side and making me very nervous indeed. Basically, I am facing another large repair bill even if I do it myself. As luck would have it, my Dad picked up a 1973 Browning (rare indeed)with only 110 hours on the MCM 140 engine. The transom on this boat has dry rot beyond repair. He offered the entire package (engine and outdrive) as a replacement for the ailing 470. The question is will I regret the loss in HP? It is going into a 1986 22' Starcraft Islander that is used for fishing here in the Great Lakes. This type of offer is hard to pass up. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance."

"Hi.

the 470 is a great eng

"Hi.

the 470 is a great engine, yes there is some problems with it but with some wise help you could overcome these little problems.

1st the waterpump problem can be fixed with 2 new seals from NAPA and speedi sleaves.....

you would never have to worry about the water pump leaking again.

the 470 has one of the best chargeing systems. But when they fail they fail big time.

I have found that the water pump in outdrive must be working good 100% to keep the reg cool, And the stator should work good all the time. I have found that if there is bad wire conection(s), or bad ground(s) this whole system could fail.

The cure is a conversition kit or a homemade alt. bracket and a 65 amp one wire marine alt. You can do the whole thing for under $100.

hope this helps."

"With a 22 footer, you will no

"With a 22 footer, you will notice any decrease in hp. Switch to an alternator. Guy on ebay sells whole conversion for $250 if you don't feel up to making one yourself.
When my 470 regulator went, I knew from the distinct smell of burning wire insulation.........something that NOBODY wants on a boat."

Back