Logo

74 Bravo Three running hot

tnduke

"Here is the deal...I took my

"Here is the deal...I took my boat for the first time and had all kinds of problems getting it on the trailer, and then I forgot to turn the motor off. My engine ran for about three minutes before I jumped in and shut it off. From what I understand, I screwed up the impeller. Today I took it out with the family and it ran up to about 220 degrees and I shut it down. After a little cool down period, I made a mad dash for the marina. I didn'n make it, engine was smoking from the heat, but I got a tow in the last quarter mile by some nice folks that stoped to check on us. I also had a couple of guys get in the water with me to pull the boat over to the trailer so I could load it up. Boat people are so cool!! On the Bravo three it looks to me like the belt driven seawater pump has failed. I just hope I didn't blow my head gaskets! Does this sound like problem here??
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------"

"So you took it out after runn

"So you took it out after running it dry without replacing the impeller, right? Do you mind if I ask why?

Your pump may have a plastic body and if this is the case, you need a whole pump assembly.

You need to put together a tool kit and include some common parts like hose clamps, duct tape, impeller, etc. You won't know if the motor is toast until you run it again, with a good raw water pump.

Overherating a motor till it smokes is always a problem, but it's a matter of time till the symptoms rear their ugly heads."

Back