Logo

Mercruiser 165 lower unit

tracyb123

"So i was told by a guy that a

"So i was told by a guy that a 470 upper unit would fit my lower 165 unit, also this person is trying to sell me the 470, any help would be great thanks."

"Kevin, my engine is a 1969, m

"Kevin, my engine is a 1969, mercruiser 165, as is the drive, from what i have found out about my drive, the gear ratio is the 1.65 and the tooth count is 24-24, thats just info i have gotten from online, i also have a mercruiser 120 drive that came off of a mercruiser 160 engine , it works but the lower unit has a crack in it and a small piece missing on it where the prop meets the housing, so i dont know if i want to use that."

"Never mind, don't need th

"Never mind, don't need the years...
From what I can tell by looking up the part #'s, the 165 (all years) and the 470 (all years) have the same part number for a complete upper unit, which leads me to believe they are the same.
Just have to make sure of the gear ratio."

"Thanks Troy. The year for the

"Thanks Troy. The year for the 165 drive is a 69 as for the 470 i dont know, i know the 165 is a 1.65 ratio, 24-24, as for the 470 he is going to bring it over today, so i can look at it. I was also told that anything over 83 wont work because of the size difference of the upper shaft?"

"Well if your going to try and

"Well if your going to try and use a late 80's 470 outdrive the shaft on the drive is longer. As a matter of fact I just measured them and there is a 1'1/2 differance in the shaft's...
You see the 470 flywheel, and coupler are different. and even the 470's is different in the 70's contrast the 80's 470's....

The gears in the 470 unit would or might be to much and are prob 184 gears.... whitch would make a difference in rpm, and boat performance. I don't know if you could get it proped right....

I am gussing that your engine is a 165 Chevy?? with a Gen.1 or R model outdrive.

They look the same or close to it the fact is they are different.

I hope this helps... sorry it took me awile to get back with you..

Kevin"

And as far as your cracked out

And as far as your cracked outdrive it can be welded and fixed. If you go that rout make sure you have someone who has done it before.

If not done right you could warped the lower unit.... I can explain more if needed.

But I have seen many fixed!! and they work just as if they had never had a problem.

The little chip in the front should not be a factor. I have a out drive that has a chip out of thing like you explained.

Kevin

"Thanks Kevin for the help, th

"Thanks Kevin for the help, there is one marine boat welder here in town, so i think i will take it to him and see what he can do. And i will keep looking for a used 165 upper unit for a fair price, but for now if i can get the 120 working i can get the boat out, Thanks Tracy"

"So welcome!

The thing wit

"So welcome!

The thing with welding the lower unit is the out side must be welded first with the gears and bearing in place to keep it from warpping, and it must be aloud to cool down slow after it has been heated up by the welding or welder... Even some welders will heat the thing up to perform the job.

Plus 1969 wow that is awhil ago, but still I know there is many still in service. My brother has one. And it is a good boat and set up.

Ebay is the place to find or keep a look out for outdrives and all kind of boat parts.Defacto

just use the "motors" tab..............

good luck.

I will keep my eyes open the next day or two see if I can see any.

Kevin"

"Kevin, yeah i have been looki

"Kevin, yeah i have been looking on ebay, and craigslist, still kicking my self, a guy about 3 months ago offered me his upper unit that worked and his lower gears, for 200 bucks, came off of the exact same year of boat as mine and same type of boat. Tracy"

"there is a auto shop down the

"there is a auto shop down the rd from me there was a boat there with this engine in it..... its about a mile from me I stop by there and see if they want to get rid of it and see if it has your outdrive...... I look at it about a year ago for a outdrive for my boat but seen it had a 165 in it, and the out drive was there....

I ck for ya and let you know......."

I just sent you a email on a l

I just sent you a email on a lower unit that could or might work out. ck it out.
you could just have your gear pack put into the lower unit.. but ck it out.
Kevin

"Kevin, got your e-mail, sent

"Kevin, got your e-mail, sent you one back. I also looked at the 470 unit, and i am wondering how it would work? Is the housing the same size as my 120? I ordered a seloc manual, it will be here today, so when people give me info i can get a better grasp on it. Thanks"

"I can tell you my brother abo

"I can tell you my brother about 15 years ago had a bad crack and all he did was get a used case and have new seals and his gears put in to it. His was the same unit as yours but a 1971.... I am 99% you should be able to the same, But I would go and find a Marina and find a few older mercruiser stern drive mechanics who will confirm."

Back