Logo

MOISTURE IN FUEL

al_oaks

"I have a 1988 Chris Craft Sea

"I have a 1988 Chris Craft Sea Hawk. I put it away with a full fuel tank(75 gals), fuel conditioner for ethanol and a new fuel filter. I have only used the boat a couple of times and am having problems with stalling. I can be trolling at 1000 rpm and it stalls. I restart and have to race around 1800 for a few minutes. Than it runs fine until the same problem happens again.

I tried to drain some of the fuel off by disconnecting the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump. Nothing comes out. Is there a baffle in the tank that prevents what I am trying to do?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks"

No more than likely it is the

No more than likely it is the fact that you have an anti siphon valve to prevent the system from siphoning a tank of gas into the bilge if the fuel line were to develop a leak. You will need to find a different way to drain down your tank. My question is why do you expect that to help or do you just want to inspect a small sample of the fuel? If you used a good fuel conditioner I doubt the problem is your fuel you may have some other issue plaguing your motor.

"this ethanol attracts water a

"this ethanol attracts water about 200 times more than mbte. Startron (made by starbrite i believe works well and you should have a 10 micron filter inline with extra filters on board. That's what it sounds like, I'm no pro but I have had experience with this problem and have straightened it out.

Kevin"

I have a serious bad fuel prob

I have a serious bad fuel problem. I keep stalling at low speed. To prove it was fuel I changed the fuel filter and poured the fuel from the old filter in to a clear container and it was full of what looked like dirt particles. The boat is an 88 ChrisCraft and I’m guessing from what I have read that sitting for 6 months full of the ethanol fuel has messed up the tank even though I used an additive. I have a 75 gallon tank I finally stalled my way down to about 20 gallons left. Can someone help me with the best way to drain what's left in the tank? It must have an anti siphon value because I removed the hose from the tank to the fuel pump and I put an outboard primer on it. I can’t get it to siphon. Thanks.

"The other thing you might wan

"The other thing you might want to check is what your tank is made of. Ethanol works as a solvent and there were many boat that had to replace their tanks. Some different types of resin tanks were breaking down and running through the motor. Even the metal tanks had precipitate that ran the lines after ethanol was added. The suggestion I have heard over and over is to either fill or empty the tank at end of season. If you can pull a sample through the filler tube and it separates, you may want to consider pulling the tank."

"Actually, have you already tr

"Actually, have you already tried using a pump to go through the filler cap and drain it that way ? I don't know alot about newer chris crafts, my newest is a 73, but if you can get a hose in that way, I would try that first. I also have to find the article I had regarding the years to watch out for with regard to how ethanol would effect the tanks. When I find it, I'll post it. Good Luck !"

"Albert:

You have the class

"Albert:

You have the classic "evil-nol" problems. First, the evil stuff has removed gunk that was happy sitting on the bottom of your thnks for decades, bothering nothing, for ethanol is a different solvent than gas. The solution is to change filters constantly until this goes away. (It took me a year and several filter changes on my 85.)

The other problem is water in the fuel, as you guessed. The way around this is dumping the water separator(s) until that goes away.

Good luck!

Jeff

PS: Ain't our Federal government great to stick us boaters with that crap!"

"Don't know if you still h

"Don't know if you still have a "bad gas" problem, but I can highly recommend a product called "K-100" (or more precisely, K-100-MG for "Marine Gas"). I had a partial tank (about 80 gal, 40 on each side) that was over two years old due to the loss of the starboard engine one year and then the Vee-drive the next. I live in western New York, so cold weather and snow lead to tank condensation with regularity.

The next spring, I could barely keep the engines running, constantly changing fuel filters. I live in the town where this stuff is made and went to see them. They recommended treating at 32 oz. per 40 gallons.

Here's the website for more info....the stuff is incredible! I have now run all summer without changing fuel filters even once! They can make water burn!

http://www.k100fueltreatment.com/k100-products.html
Good Luck,
Dave"

Back