Logo

1976 glastron v174 with mercruiser 120 IO running rich

ruggles

It's especially bad when i

It's especially bad when it's first cold and runs like ish and will stall out if I don't warm it up before going anywhere. The black smoke is so bad that the water coming out the exhuast is sometimes black and I can smell the fuel big time. Any ideas? I am new to I/O's. Could it be a malfuctioning choke? Carb toast? It seems to idle a lot better once it warms up but still bogs if you hammer the throttle. Any ideas of where to begin would be much appreciated.

sound like something could hav

sound like something could have the needle set...hanging up in the carb. "black smoke" a sign of over fueling. And it could also be the Power valve in the carb hanging up to. What kind of Carb is on it?

Im not sure what carb yet I ju

Im not sure what carb yet I just bought it but it's stock for sure. Anyone have any links to online manuals for this thing. thanks for the info. I'll check those things this weekend.

"Ryan

also make sure the f

"Ryan

also make sure the fuel filter(s) are clean to.

Black smoke is over fueling for sure and sounds to like the gas is just runing through bad, all you have to do look carefully down the carb, as it is running: and then if you see fuel pooring into the engine, that should be the tail tail sign something is wrong in the carb.

You can get a rebuild kit for the carb, it is easy, just get a kit. take your time.

hope that helps.

K."

"[b]"Anyone have any links

""Anyone have any links to online manuals for this thing."

Ayuh,....

Go to the thread titled "Ayuh,.. The backdoor is Open again"....
From there you can download whichever Manual you'd like...."

"thanks I tried to do that las

"thanks I tried to do that last night but the download timed out on me... I'll try it again. I'll be taking the boat out this weekend for it's maiden voyage and will try to tune it at my dock. If I can't get it to run properly I'll get a rebuild kit, although my buddy has a new one apparently..."

"well I fired it up today and

"well I fired it up today and while it's first running, a bunch of black crap comes out in the water exhaust but I think it may not be gas unless it's soot. The black stuff is floating on top of the water like a dry film... It's hard to explain... Any ideas... Once it warms up it seems to dissipate... Any ideas??"

Back