Logo

Runs for 10secs than dies and just cranksPLEASE HELP

red_viper_117

"1986 AQ 131,1ST BOAT EVER&#40

"1986 AQ 131,1ST BOAT EVER(LOL)BOAT SAT FOR A YEAR OR SO OUTSIDE ON A TRAILER,PAID 400 FOR BOAT AND TRAILER,19FT BAYLINER CAPRI,1ST 2 OR 3 TURN OF THE ENGINE,FIRED UP AND RAN STEADY FOR 10 SEC THAN JUST DIES!!!!!AFTERWARDS JUST TURNS OVER AND OVER(YIKES!!!FILLED THE TANK WITH FRESH GAS,GAS FILTER LOOKS NEW SOME WHAT,UNSCREWED THE COPPER GAS LINE FEEDING THE CARB,GAVE IT A CRANK GAS SPILLS OUT,CAP AND ROTER ASWELL AS WIRES LOOK FAIRLY NEW,PULLED THE DISTRIBUTER COIL WIRE LEANED IT ON A GROUND AND GOT SPARK!!PULLED EACH SPARK PLUG BOOT WITH NEW NGK PLUGS AGAINST A GROUND AND GOT SPARK ON ALL 4 CYLINDERS,CLUELESS AT THIS POINT??AFTER A WEEK OF SITTING WITH A TRICKLE CHARGE IT STARTS SMOOTH AGAIN ONLY JUST TO CONK OUT 10 SEC OR SO LATER,JUST WOULD LOVE TO GET IT ON THE WATER 1 TIME THIS YEAR SO I CAN SEE WHAT ITS LIKE?PLEASE HELP A 1ST TIMER OUT?AM A BOAT NEWBIE BUT NOT A AUTOMOBILE NEWBIE,OH AND THER IS A CLICKING SOUND ABOVE THE STARTER WHEN I TRY TO LOWER OR RAISE THE PRO PELLER,ENGINE HEAD LOOKS LIKE IT WAS REPLACED AND THE ANTIFREEZE IS SUPER GREEN,THE BILGE PUMP DOESNT SEEM TO WORK EITHER?OH AND THE GAS GUAGE SHOWS EMPTY EVEN THOUGH ITS FULL OF GAS.YES AM HOLDING A SIGN AROUND MY CHEST AT MY LOCAL MARINA"SAY AM JEALOUS OF ALL THE BOATERS ON THE WATER"LOL.......FRITZ}"

Was it sitting for a year or s

Was it sitting for a year or so with gas in the carb? Could be gummed up. You could try some SeaFoam. Follow the directions on the can.

"el,the timing belt still look

"el,the timing belt still looks ok,has plenty of thick notches on it,if the timing was off a tad,would it still run great for 10 sec once a week?lol"

"thostorey:carb looks clean in

"thostorey:carb looks clean in side,tried some starter fluid aswell,cranking still remains the same,what in the world is Seafoam?"

"Seems to me that three things

"Seems to me that three things will cause an engine not to run if it has been running in the past. Those are faulty ignition (spark-timing etc), faulty carburetion or internal component failure. Choose yours
biggrin.gif

SeaFoam is a carb cleaner."

"Well Fritz, not long ago some

"Well Fritz, not long ago someone posted a question regarding a problem similar to yours, and the problem was the timing belt
biggrin.gif
. Of course, your case may be different
wink.gif
. One thing you may want to do when it happens again is to put the control lever at 3/4 throttle and try again (the carb may just be flooding). Just pull it back to idle at the time the engine starts.

Also, once it starts, have you tried running the engine at higher RPM (say around 1500) until it warms-up?"

"EL,thanks for your help so fa

"EL,thanks for your help so far,if it is flooded does it subside in time or is there something i can do to drain it?my understanding with the control lever is it will not engage the starter unless its in neutral?If it does decide to run 4 a quick sec,ill engage the control lever up and see if it can hold the rpm's.how about that clicking sound when i try to lower the prop?maybe a relay?thanks EL"

"My guess would be a gummed up

"My guess would be a gummed up carb that is leading to flooding if the engine sat for an extended period of time. If Seafoam, as recommended, does not work, I would break the carb down and clean it.

How do the plugs look? After it runs for 10 secs and stalls pull a plug, are they wet? Do they smell of gas?"

I had the same problem
I too

I had the same problem
I took the bowl off the carb. and cleaned the idle jet
and the boat ran great after that.

oh and I also put the ball check valve in the gas tank but it was not for the idling problem
it had a top end fade .

"I know this is elementary, bu

"I know this is elementary, but are you running water to the drive while you run engine? As I recall that motor had a flow sensor in the heat exchanger that would shut down the engine if there as no water flowing thru it. Also, that motor has a stator, not an alternator. The voltage regulator was external, and water cooled from the lake water, not the closed cooling, and could be overheating as well.

2nd, The clicking is from the trim motor solinoid, could just be stuck from sitting.

3rd, your fuel sending unit float is probably saturated and needs to be replace."

"Before you replace the sendin

"Before you replace the sending unit on your fuel tank, try a simple test. Locate the sending unit. You will see two wires, one running to a post in the center and one grounded to a screw at the edge. Place your ignition key in the ON position. Next remove the center wire and hold it against the wire on the edge (ground). You should see your fuel gauge spike over to FULL. If it does not you may have a problem with the wiring between the gauge and the tank or with the gauge itself. Good luck."

"Yo fritz! Are you getting mor

"Yo fritz! Are you getting more that 10 sec out of her yet??? We like feedback just to see how wrong we were
smile.gif
"

Back