Logo

AQ125B Could timing skip 6 teeth and run

jamie392

Contributing Member
"Sorry to make a new thread, t

"Sorry to make a new thread, this will be the last one on this subject but I really need to get this done. I lined up the crankshaft with the notch (pretty much 11 o'clock or so). At this position the camshaft sprocket is about the same, 11 o'clock up and the distributor sprocket is like 5 o'clock. The distributor looks like it is on the exhaust cycle, (the rotor is not at number 1). Now the marks on the distributor sprocket and on the block are off by 6 teeth!!! It makes no sense to me.

I roughly laid the new timing belt out and the marks pretty much line up between all three sprockets, but on the distributor sprocket it is lining up with the block reference mark, not the sprocket mark, that mark is off by 6 teeth.

One last note is I can't find any markings on the block, value cover, or any other part for the camshaft sprocket, so that could be a problem, but as I read while searching here, I can draw a diagonal between the camshaft and crankshaft marks so that seems right.

And one more thing unrelated to the timing, I pulled the water pump to change a seal and now want to make sure the pump is ok. It seems to turn very freely, the bearings are great, but I would hate to put it back in and then in two weeks find out that the little hole on the bottom is leaking... Is there anyway to test this??? If the bearings are good does that mean the pump should be good?

Once again thanks a ton!!!! I would be dead without this site"

"The distributor is 180º off.

"The distributor is 180º off. Either reposition it or swap the ignition wires (1 to 4, 4 to 1, 2 to 3, 3 to 2)."

"Thanks for the quick reply. T

"Thanks for the quick reply. The guy marked #1 on #4 plug so it through me off. If the piston closest to you when standing in the boat is #1 then he marked it wrong.

Anyways, I adjusted the distributor sprocket to the correct looking position and then readjusted the dist and tried to fire it up with everything else still apart and it started...

So i figure either it skipped 6 teeth on only the dist sprocket so that is why it was still running, or someone messed up the timing belt before on that sprocket and just adjusted the dist to make up for there mistake?

Anyways thanks for all your help, hopefully it will get more power
"

Back