Logo

Dipstick tube replacement

dlyle

"Good Day,
I'm dealing wi

"Good Day,
I'm dealing with a 1991 5.7 350 mag Mercruiser Alpha 1.
My situation:
The dipstick has broken and about one foot still remains in the tube. I feel certin of this because the tube can be used to suction out the oil. So I figure it's not in the bottom of the pan. I was going to remove the tube and retrive the broken piece but I can't remove the tube without removing the exhaust manifold (big job).
My thinking: I'll cut the tube and remove it in sections if necessary (hopefully the broken piece won't fall as I pull more of the tube out).
Assuming I'm successful and I retrieve the broken piece....
My question: Can I retrofit a different tube, maybe one that would extend out next to the exhaust manifold and if so does anyone have any suggestion for a particular make or model? Additionally, could I fabricate (bend) the correct replacement model and make it work in this manner? If I get the old one out I'll never get a new one installed in the original configuration without removing the manifold (still a big job).
I'm hoping someone has done this before or has a better solution.
Thanks for your time and regards,
David Lyle"

"If you can get a small rare e

"If you can get a small rare earth magnet and attach it firmly to a speedo cable or something similar, you could feed that through a plastic sleeve into the dipstick tube and possibly grab the piece that's still in there.

How did the stick break off? I have removed exhaust manifolds and while it's a PITA due to the weight, I didn't really consider it a big job."

"Thanks Jim,
I have looked fo

"Thanks Jim,
I have looked for one of those flexable magnets all winter and spring and can't find one that will fit inside the actual tube itself. I was thinking about attaching a magnet to the plastic suction tube I use when suctioning the oil out but with TWO bends in the tube I'm afraid I'd wind up with something else stuck in the tube. I really don't want to have to remove the manifolds if I can help it, not that I can't do it it just seems like an excessive amount of work if I can find an alternate method thus the reason I'm seeking suggestions from the experts here.
The old broken stick is the flat type (not solid round) and there are several "pot" marks on the stick. Nothing serious but the type you would see where a small bit of rust may have formed, then the rust broke away. You know, after sanding away a rust spot it leaves a small "pot" mark. Anyway it appears this was the weak spot and from all the stressing and bending, I guess it had all it could stand. The replacement stick I have is round and will flex much better.
I really would like to reroute the dipstick to another location which would make it easier to access. The way it is now and being in front of the engine makes it difficult to get to since that's right behind the passenger bench seat.
David"

"David, I am not sure that you

"David, I am not sure that you will be able to remove the dipstick tube, without pulling the oil pan. I had my GM 4.3LX out of the boat last summer to replace the pan, and it seemed to me that the dipstick tube had some curves to it, and went through a hole in the oil pan gasket surface. In addition, will the broken piece of the stick stay in the tube, when you pull it out? Remember that the dipstick tube is right on the bottom of the pan, allowing you to pump out all the oil for a oil change. This means that the dipstick shouldn't fall into the pan, as long as the tube is in place.

I recommend that you do some research on the shape of the tube and see if it may be possible to remove it. It might be real obvious that you won't be able."

Back