Logo

Tilt pump blowing line

moneyfunnel

"new guy here. 1st post. Have

"new guy here. 1st post. Have a 1979 mercruiser that for years would not hold the outdrive in the position set. Put it up and by morning--it would be all the way down. Traced it to the valve body and this year changed the pump. It now holds the postion like it should. BUT...it has blown the nylon hose going to the reverse lockout twice now. This is the old style Prestolite pump and the cylinders have 2 hoses each. On the inside of the reservoir, the valve body has set screws on it. Is the pressure adjustable?"

make sure the lockout valve is

make sure the lockout valve is adjusted properly. (by the book) there is no pressure adjustment.

Thanks Scott. The hose never p

Thanks Scott. The hose never popped with the old pump and that is what is confusing. The lockout is adjusted to the marks stated in the manual. I took my old pump apart last night and on the reservoir side the pump has two set screws with locknuts on them. My guess is that on the down stroke I may be holding the down button too long and there is a bypass relief valve that is not releasing the excess pressure therefore popping the line. While running the boat I can't hear the pump when it reaches bottom of the stroke. I can watch trim guage and guess buuuuut........

I may take the replacement off and look to see if there is a difference between the set screw settings on both units.

Back