Logo

AQ125B Timing belt and water leak questions

jamie392

Contributing Member
"I'm in the middle of doin

"I'm in the middle of doing my timing belt. It is a little too sloppy for my likes and I am supposed to take the boat away for a weekend camping on a lake. I don't have a manual for this engine and don't really have time to order and receive one before the weekend so i'm hoping someone can help answer my questions... I'm very mechanically inclined and have rebuild a couple old car engines in the past so I think I should be fine.

Anyways, I have removed the heat exchanger and sea water pump. Before I did this i lined it up to 0 degrees. Now I was hoping that as long as I don't move any the cam or crank sprocket that I can just remove the old belt and put on the new one as everything "Should" be lined up... right?

I really don't want to have to remove the pulley from the crank, and I think to line things up I would need to do that, and even at that I don't really know if I am lining it up properly. So my question is basically is this fine? The engine ran really good before this so I don't think it jumped any teeth but maybe it could have? I think that if the marks on the sea water pump and the cam sprocket line up correctly with the new timing belt than that should mean it hasn't jumped. I am really unsure about this timing belt replacement and am hoping to get the boat going for the weekend... I don't really know if I lined it up at zero degrees during the exhaust stroke or the intake stroke and I don't know if that matters either. Could someone clarify this process for me and be patient with the fact that I don't have a manual. I will order one today, but I would like to get this done in the next few days.

Now I had one more question about a water leak. The last few weeks i've noticed a water leak my coolant is almost empty after sitting for a couple days. I couldn't find the leak anywhere, but when I was taking apart everything for the timing belt I found a small puddle of water near the water pump. If you look at the following link:

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/vp_sch_fs.html

The leak seems to puddle under the head on the water pump between seal 37 and 28 in the diagram. At first I thought this was the head gasket but now I think that it is probably just seal 28 which should seal between the head and the water pump right? So I can just remove the 4 (i think) water pump bolts, pull the pump and change that gasket. Does this seem right?

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate any input!"

"1) Search the Volvo Penta

"1) Search the Volvo Penta gasoline engines forum, this has been discussed many times and all the info is there. Use the search words <font color=""ff0000"">timing</font> <font color=""0000ff"">belt</font>.

2) If I recall correctly, you have to remove the head (but I may be wrong). Unless, of course, you are crafty (and lucky) enough to remove the circulating pump, replace the gasket 28, then reinstall the studs (25) with by fitting on one side two nuts tightly attached to the studs (not sure if you have enough room). Somehow, I don't think you will be able to remove/reinstall the pump without removing the studs.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/COOLING_SYSTEM_INDUCTION_AND_EXHAUST_MANIFOLD_AQ1 25B/dm/cart_id.497973580--category_id.333146--list_time.1217304336--session_id.1 06081575--store_id.366--view_id.327255"

"Thanks a lot. Didn't thin

"Thanks a lot. Didn't think about the stud problem, the nuts are probably rusted on there and will take the studs with them. How many studs are there?

I guess if the studs come out when I undo the water pump I can just reinstall them with the pump off right? Or is there something tricky that I am missing... You must be able to remove the water pump without removing the head? I really really don't want to get that deep into the engine..."

"One last question. Are the sp

"One last question. Are the spark plugs the same as the auto version. I ordered some from west marine and the kit was 32 bucks, seems very expensive for 4 spark plugs...."

"I buy my plugs at the auto pa

"I buy my plugs at the auto parts store, $3-$4 each. What came in the 'kit' with the 4 plugs?"

Back