Logo

Help With Wiring PLEASE

chiser2332

Hey everyone! The site is grea

Hey everyone! The site is great and it seems like a good croud of people by the posts I have read. I have kinda ran into a little problem. I have a 89 pleasurecraft with the 351 ford motor and I put a new instrument panel on it and I marked all the wires but due to other things going on it set in the yard for about 1 month and all my writing has came off. It is to the point where I cant even get the boat to start. The only things that I unhooked are wires at the console but now the starter wont even turn. I do hear a clicking in the selanoid but the starter isn't doing anything. I'm thinking or atleast hoping it's just a ground wire loose or something but does anyone have any suggestions on what it could be. I was also wondering if anyone has the wiring diagram for my boat cause I cant find it anywhere. This info would be AWESOME and a GREAT help to me. Thanks guy and be safe on the water.

"If your hear the solonoid in

"If your hear the solonoid in the starter clicking and the engine wont turn over.. i would suggest checking the battery and making sure it has enough power.. also double check all your connections. I had a simmilar problem but mine was due to my battery being drained... does any of your other electronics work?.. Double check your relay too, make sure it's clean. Also... you did check your fuses and all them silly things right?... it honestly sounds just like a bad connection... I'd chase them cables down and check em all."

"where is the clicking coming

"where is the clicking coming from? there are two solenoids in the system. one is the pre-solenoid which is on the back of the engine near your big 40amp fuse, and the other is on the starter itself. check to see where the clicking is coming from and we can take it from there."

"The clicking is actually comi

"The clicking is actually coming from the pre-solenoid on the back of the motor. I have already replaced this solenoid and I know it's not the battery because I hooked jumper cables up to it and I could hear it taking the power from the car but again the solenoid was just click, click, click. I honestly dont think it's the starter but it could be. Is there anyway to check to see if the starter is any good? Right now on the starter I have one cable coming off the side of the starter and i'm not sure if i'm supposed to have two. If not I'm assuming that one is a hot wire. I tried working on it again yesterday for about 4 hrs and still no luck. I put a test light from the ground on batt to the terminal on the starter which the wire is black but it's the only one on the starter that I can see and the light didn't come on so theres no power to it but that could be because you would have to turn the key to get power to it. I'm not sure but thanks guy for the help so far and take care."

"You can jump the pre-solenoid

"You can jump the pre-solenoid with a screwdriver....just place it across the posts....you'll see some sparks and don't do it for very long, but if someone cranks the boat for you while you have the screwdriver across the posts on the pre-solenoid you can check to see if you even have enough power to turn over the boat. have you checked the voltage coming into the pre-solenoid with a multimeter?"

Back