Logo

Water in the boat Outdrive

2008citation

"(87 citation ressurrected

"(87 citation ressurrected to an 08 custom) 3.0 chev with alpha one o/d

Hey guys, long time no post. My boat has been running great. The few times we've taken it out this summer. Something odd has started happening.

I recently had my boat rebuilt. They lowered the floor almost a foot from factory specs, and built seats higher, to be more comfortable. They also added a 2nd ski locker behind the factory one, which is right in front of the rear bench. (factory ski locker is in the same spot, between driver and passanger seats)

Also, we had a teak swimstep installed. The brackets are bolted through the transom.

Now....after the redisgn, and rebuild, we have water coming in. I noticed it, but didnt think much of it. It didnt look like much, until I noticed the rear ski locker carpet SOAKED, and smelly.

Our last big outting, we pulled the bottom bolts from the brakets, dried it with high pressure o2 (had a work van up there with us) replaced bolts, and re siliconed. It seemed to have slowed the leak, but did not stop it.

The company who redesigned my boat, has it back, and put it in the water to attempt to trace the leak. They cannot find it.

Before the rebuild, this thing was always BONE DRY. Now, its got water coming in, from somewhere.

I recently had the gembal bearing, and water pump replaced. mechanic said nothing about the rubber in the outdrive. We inspected it ourselves and couldnt find ANYTHING.

Does anyone have ANY ideas? If infact it is the outdrive, what are some signs I should be looking for?

215203.jpg

215204.jpg
"

"Rob, You might want to check

"Rob, You might want to check the connection of the gearhouse bellows. The last time I had a mechanic work on my boat, they didn't seal it up good and I had water coming in. They should be reconnected with bellows adhesive and clamps to be watertight."

Back