Logo

How to winterize for up to 4 years with no run inbetween

atilla_boy

Regular Contributor
"The wife and I are about to g

"The wife and I are about to go to Italy for 3 to 4 years and I can't take my boat. I don't trust anyone with it so I want to store it for the duration... I was thinking about pulling the spark plugs and putting in some kinda oil on top of the cyclinders draining all the water or maybe not, not sure wich is best.... what else should I do.. it will be under a carport with the trailer on bocks and covered with a boat cover..I will be strapping down the boat with mobile home tie downs and a cargo strap. this is because of living in Fl and hurricanes...any suggestions????"

Make sure the cover is vented

Make sure the cover is vented at the stern and the bow so that moist air can be vented. A piece of 2' PVC rain down spout w/a flat elbow placed on each corner will help alot.

Merc. fogging oil will work.

"Also make sure your outdrive

"Also make sure your outdrive is "down" if snow or ice builds up in the lower outdrive in the"exhust areas" is does not matter if the little hole at the back and bottom of the outdrive is clear or not. Ice expands and what happens if it is trapped in the lower part of the out drive most times it cracks the lower unit. If leaveing for that long I would take the outdrive off. Put it inside out of the weather and out of the elements. And make sure the gimble area was covered.

Also, being inside during the hot summer months this would help the seals from drying and cracking....

But what ever you do make sure you have all of the fresh water out!!

hope you get the picture of what can happen to your outdrive.

plus I have heard of peaple having there outdrive stolen right off of there boats when they was out of town on bussiness....

hope all of this help's you think wisely about your boat.

Kevin"

"[b]"The wife and I are ab

""The wife and I are about to go to Italy for 3 to 4 years and I can't take my boat. a 3.7 L 180 hp merc???"

Ayuh,....

Sell it Now, while it's nice,+ clean,+ Running.....
Take the money,+ Enjoy it.....
When you are in a Better position to own a boat again,....
Buy another 1......
Hopefully not 470, or OMC powered.......
uhoh.gif
"

Bodo's idea is great actua

Bodo's idea is great actually..........sell it and replace when ready. that way you have NO worries while you are gone.

hey guy I'm kinda lost as

hey guy I'm kinda lost as to the PVC thing can you elaborate please

as for selling the boat that is out of the Question... the boat was a birthday present for my parents and don't know how long they'll be around so its kinda sentamental (sp)

as for the out drive freezing up I highly doubt thats going to happen since I live in FL and it only get cold enough to freeze once every ten or 20 years.. I will completly drain all fresh water I am going to change the oil and run all the gas out of it and drain out all the gas out of the tank... I will put it and the trailer on blocks under a permanemt cover kinda of like a barn with no sides just a roof. I will also cover it with a good boat cover the outdrive will be in the down position and it will be stored at my parents house. So there will be someone to keep an eye on it for security..

anything else I should do that ya'll can think of

Just cut a 10' length of p

Just cut a 10' length of pvc rain gutter downspout into 4 pieces and add one elbow to one end of each piece. Insert 2 lengths under each end of the cover w/ the elbow pointing down like a letter "L" turned 90 deg. to the right. Rain stays out and air moves thru.

Back